Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First steak cook using lump. Help.

Options
snake701uk
snake701uk Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finaly I have lump to use on my Large. This will be only my third cook using it, but I already start to understand the real benifits of the BGE. For a year I have been waiting to sear my first steak, but the bricquette things could not get hot enough.
All ok and ready, but the butcher had prepared 2 "great" steaks! Bone out and almost 2 inches thick. 2.2Lbs each!!!!!!! They were not cheap either.
I thought I had studied enough, but the size of these things scare me.
I guess I take egg to 650 direct, 2 mins one side, flip 2 mins other, flip 2 mins first side. Remove steaks, close vents, let temp drop to 400. "Roast" for 5 more mins.
Would that be enough for medium rare. These seem so thick. My 3 guests love a crust but juicy and warm inside. Sorry for such a boring request to you eggsperts, but I am not at all used to the "amazing power of the lump".
No thermometer here. I will get that next month in USA.
I could just cut them in half. Andy

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Good afternoon Andy.
    Well you have huge steaks and the pressure is on to do a good job. Yes, natural lump charcoal gets hotter and has better charcoal flavor so your good to go.

You have done your homework... but because of the thickness of the steaks (small roasts) I will recommend you roast indirect after the sear. That means using the plate setter or some type of drip pan between the lump and the meat being cooked. You could place the steaks in an open pan to finish them for true roasting. Also, go out and get a hold of some type of meat thermometer... they are indispensable in determining what exactly is going on internally with the steak. They sell probes in the hardware stores and kitchen supply stores....even in Italy! Take the steaks (roasts) between 125~130 degrees F. internal for medium rare, meat will be pink and very juicy. I understand European meat to be lean so don't over cook.
    Those are my tips. Good luck and have fun! This is the first time I've heard of the egg in Italy.
    P.S.
    I see Gin Martini's with this dinner. ;) Stay sober for the grilling, party afterwards. :laugh:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have done 2" strip steaks several times. I have done the Egghead "T-Rex" style, that is pretty much what you describe. Sear, then dwell. I've also done the reverse. Both worked pretty well. But what has worked best for me has been "Hot tubbing."

Rub the steaks however you like, just salt and pepper works well, but use whatever. Then place them in plastic bags. Force as much air out of the bags as possible, and seal. Set your tap water to heat to 120 - 125 F/49 - 52 C. Fill a large bowl or pot with the water, and immerse the bagged steaks. It is good to have a thermometer, because you will want to refresh the water as it cools. After 45 - 60 min, the steaks should be the same temperature as the water. That is, they are cooked rare.

When the steaks are almost finished pre-heating, get the Egg going. Let it go full out. Have the grill on the lower setting, where the temperature will be around 1400 F. When the dome is to 650, the whole of the Egg should be warm enough to keep the heat up while you place and flip the steaks. I've gone as high as 800 F dome.

Remember to "burp" the Egg so you don't get a flash back. If you see any hint of smoke coming from the vents as you do this, watch out. Keep "burping" till the smoke clears.

The general rule is to cook the meat 30 seconds per half inch per side. Yours will take 2 minutes per side, 4 minutes total, plus turning time. You might want to have some sort of glove on (I've used welders gloves, but ordinary leather gloves helped too) when you are turning. The heat really is ferocious, and the steaks will burst into flame.

After the sear, tent under foil on a plate, and wait ten minutes for the meat to firm up, and hold the juices better. If you like, pre-heat the holding plate.

Good luck. With good steaks, it will be hard to mess up.
  • snake701uk
    Options
    Thanks for your help. This is a very important cook for me. I don't have a plate setter (it is ordered) but no problem for drip pan as i use them often to simulate a bit. You are right, meat here is often lean, including these pieces, but my butcher will even call me when he has something a bit more marbled. I have found a cheapo thermometer, I will pick up an ET732 in the USA next month. My instinct with meat is normally good. There will be masses of local Barbera wine around as always here, so no need for anything else. I have not yet found another egger in Italy but will keep looking. lol.
    I have just checked the weights, 2.6Lbs and 2.2Lbs. I love cooking meat and have no problem with a 15Lb piece etc. But this lump scares me, the combination of the egg and decent lump is fantastic. I just don't want to ruin THIS meal. lol.
    Thanks again and with good sober sense all will be ok!
  • snake701uk
    Options
    Thanks for the help. Considering I have to do 2 steaks and am doing many trials in this moment, then I could try one like this. I will try and take some photos this time as well. Thanks again. Andy
  • snake701uk
    Options
    I did one steak like this. Came out real good. Even slightly burnt on one side ( I was sober, lol). It is sure hot in there! Guests loved it. I am looking forward to doing another now.
    Thnaks again.
  • snake701uk
    Options
    I tried one steak hot tub. Came out real good and as you said 4 mins were enough. I have learnt alot with this cook. Thanks again for your help. Andy
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ditto on the hot tub suggestion. best way to get a big fat steak (small roast, really) to a temp where searing alone will finish it off
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante