Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie - What do I need?

Options
Kloss
Kloss Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all
So I stand today at the brink of BGEGdom. However, I am having trouble making up my mind:

1. Large or XL?
2. What are "must have" accessories?
3. What are other must-haves?
4. Is $1000 for a large with a table a good deal?

Help!!!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Firstly, just do it, you won't regret it.

To answer:

The size debate has been raised many times. Seems to me that most people think that if there is the money for an XL, a combo of a Large and Small offers more versatility. XL's are big enough for catering jobs, and not as useful for a quick weekday burger.

Almost everyone gets a platesetter, and some way to get a double (or triple) grill set up. After that, pizza stones are very common. Lots of people get Thermapen instant thermometers, and weed burners for fast starting.

Other things, really, you name it. Automated blower systems, all manner of racks, ... out door kitchens, etc.

$1000 for a large and table is good. If you live near to an Eggfest, the demo models are offered at a good discount.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I was once faced with the same dilema. Here is what I did. I bought an XL for $1070.00 delivered to my back deck preassembled. Egg, nest, mates, cover(vented), 20lb lump.My dealer threw in a set of feet(not included with the XL)that I use to elevate my drip pans and stones.
    I then bought a fire ring and a set of ANG-L brackets,so I could do those week night quick grills,and semi indirect cooks. Since then I have added a platesetter, 16"drip pan, 18"drip pan, elevated rack, fish grid,and V-rack.
    I love my XL and feel that it is better to have the space if/when needed. It does take @10lbs of lump to fill the XL, but it lasts a long time. A full fire ring is great for grilling temps,but 500* is about the max. If I want to sear at 600+ I have to go full fire. Well worth it once you have had BGE Ribeyes!!
    GOOD LUCK!! With your new BGE whichever one you may choose.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I love my large. It is easy to set up and get going and is more than enough for 2. I have done turkeys, butts and ribs with room to spare.

As far as eggcessories, one of the most important is a thermapen. It is an ultra fast/accurate meat thermometer (hand held)-a must have for any smaller cut of meat you would like to a very specific doneness.

Also a way to cook indirect is useful, whether it be a platesetter or fancier.

You will LOVE it!

P.S. don't know if you ever seen an egg in action but lighting it could not be easier! No more nasty lighter fluid!
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    I found the place setter a must have because I love to do lo and slos with brikets and butts. Beyond that, trying out your egg for a while to see what cooking style you like will allow you to focus on an accessory mix that suits your preferences. Whatever your choices, you'll love your egg......promise.
  • Kloss
    Kloss Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input. I think I will stay with the large. Plate setter seems to be mandatory though!