Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef??

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Corned beef is on sale right now and are really cheap. Thought about stocking up for pastrami. Question is can they be frozen? -RP

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I have frozen mine and they come out great when pulled, thawed and cooked.

Wondering how close you are to Oro Hospital (I think it is)?

Kent
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i buy them every year for the freezer, around here they go lower in price in a week or two
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    Options
    The northwest hospital in Oro Valley is a couple miles from the house, when are you going to be here? -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Do you freeze them as they come in the brine or do you rinse them first? -RP
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I usually wait a few days after St. Pattys Day, then pick up a few marked way down and throw them in the freezer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    freeze it in the orig package
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    fish... you buy the gray corned beef? gray pastrami seems a little weird. wonder if it is simply a salt cure (no nitrite) in the gray
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    yeah.. that sounds like the grey one(salt).. same ones I've used up here. stays red on the inside throughout the cook.
    context is important :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    This is not a bs question ok. Would you have to freeze it if it is cured?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    well. they cured it because they had no refrigeration.

a cool place, hung, and it would be fine (would dry out).

not makin that up. watched a BBC program where they did just that
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I just wondered if you could leave it in the fridge

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Rancidity of the fats would be the first problem I would guess. Recommended shelf life, even in the freezer, for corned beef is only a couple of months. Probably fine(safety wise) to eat, but it sure wouldn't smell or taste good.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    grey at the butchers is salted the way you make bacon and piled in tubs to cure, the supermarkets are brining though. grey is just salt and whatever spice mix they use. the one ive used for pastrami is a slight cross, they use jut a touch of the pink stuff, its not red like that god awful supermarket stuff and doesnt need a soak out or water change like the supermarket stuff, no spice package needed either. looks good to me as a pastrami, has more a beef look than a red dye look

his ones from thwaites market, mostly grey

2004_0122Image0020.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    just drop them in the freezer and forget about them til you want to do the pastrami, brine and all
    fukahwee maine

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    So says the guy with old sweat socks full of rotten duck in his basement.
  • stike
    Options
    mmm. not necessarily. nitrite curing actually works to prevent rancidity.

undesirable flavors from oxidation are prevented, and i think the fats are less likely to pick up off flavors from iron, etc. because the free 'spot' is taken up by the nitrite. i think pork fat is unsaturated and would otherwise be quick to go rancid

vague memory of alton brown and his rail car illustration of poly and monounsaturated fats :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    i use nitrite in the bacon though. that's what makes it pink. i dunno if the red corned beef is from nitrite or if they actually dye it. yikes.

nitrite actually DOES change the flavor and firmness, texture, it's not just for color.

saw a case of the gray at MB the other day. should have a ton left over tomorrow
    :laugh:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    all our corned beef came from haverhill beef growing up, never even knew they made red til college. if you boil it all day you wont notice much difference in texture between the two :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    My guess is both. The liquid in the corned beef packages from the store should look the same/similar to the liquid in our packages of bacon/hams, etal during and after curing. It doesn't. It's red. Cure doesn't turn water and salt pink. It turns meat pink. Consumers like the red color and it prolly helps with identification.
  • stike
    Options
    zackly. it all turns gray
    hahaha
  • fishlessman
    Options
    could serve a bowl of red dye number 5 on the side for those that want it red :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Nah, just freeze them in the package till you want to use them. Prices and availability will never be better than this time of year. Good luck.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I was down there on president's day weekend, I am not sure it was called a eggfest that Saturday. I didn't have access to a computer and didn't have any phone numbers with me so I didn't end up going. I was hoping to see you at that event... anyway we ended up going out to the Trident Museum and another day I took the family out to the Desert Museum, that was a lot more interesting than I had thought it was. We were too late to get over to Old Town.

I am guessing my sister's house isn't to far away from you folks. I would have really enjoyed at least stopping by and saying hello to you folks.

Kent