Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Tier Table Design

madcooks
madcooks Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
All,
New here and bought an XL yesterday w/o the Nest so I need to build a table for it. What I don't understand is why everybody seems to build them with a hole cut into the top of the table. Is there a functional reason for this that I haven't piked up on?

I was going to upload a PowerPoint version of what I have in mind but haven't ever done a Photobucket type picture hosting thing before so I'll need to try and describe it.

I was thinking about basically having a six leg table. The two far left legs of the table would be short and the right two sets would be tall. Where everybody has two levels on their tables now I would just have the lower shelf on the left side which the egg would sit. This lower shelf would span all three sets of legs and be the full width of the table. The top of the table would be even with the opening of the egg and span the two tall sets of legs. This would also eliminate the need to try and lower the heavy XL egg down through a hole in the table.

How on earth does everybody lower the XL egg into a hole on the table?

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I have seen photos of several tables done the way you describe, there is certainly nothing wrong with that idea, especially with the wt of an XL,as you mentioned.
    The Eggs are very stable and will not tip over standing alone. I have two Lges and both of them stood on a stack of blocks for a month or so until I got their tables built.
    Go for it! :)
  • I plan to build mine as a series of cabinets. Saw that a company does it (cannot find the brochure at the moment) and really like that idea. Very flexible
  • I think you are looking mostly of pictures of Large and smaller eggs which aren't quite as stable when free standing. They are a touch top-heavy. However the XL appears to be much more stable when freestanding. I think your two level idea is a good one for the XL and I have seen a few tables built that way.
    War Eagle and pass the Sauce!