Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter / raised grid

Options
reader40
reader40 Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hi all,

so i am going to smoke a corned beef tonight and have a question.

I am new to the egging scene and have basically no tools for it. FOr smoking this beef, should i go with a plate setter upside down and then put an grill grate on or just make one of those raised grids with the brackets like some folks have?

I called the local BGE dealer and the plate setters for the meduims are on sale for 34.99 if that is of any worth.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Thats a good deal on the Plate setter. Get it and use it "legs up" with grid resting on top. Drip pan under grid if desired.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm with Bacchus.
    Buy the platesetter and your done.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I would do the corned beef indirect so a platesetter would be more helpful than a raised grid. Unless you have firebricks to put on the first grid.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Indirect raised is always a safe way to cook. If your cook isn't going to be a long cook 6+ hrs, maybe 4 hrs on the medium, you can put in a lesser amount of lump. That will put the lump bed further away from the food and other than cooking up in the dome you will in effect have a raised grid. I haven't done any testing to see how long a medium would cook with the lump load just above the holes in the fire box or a half full fire box.

Making a temporary raised grid can be done in many different ways. Long bolts, washers and nuts. One could make some "U's" out of copper tubing, bracket out of round metal stock, inexpensive fire bricks, heck even equal height rocks. If you are not cooking too hot some of those small orange clay planter pots. Another easy method is to go visit a ceramic store (or on line) and buy 3 or 4 kiln stilts. These are relatively small diameter and are available from 1/4" to 26" in length. The stilts are available in round, triangle and square.

If you are interested in kiln stilts just google 'kiln stilts'.

GG