Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs - what went wrong ?

EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all,

cooked yesterday beef short ribs for the first time

here the bare meat:

P1020471.jpg

seasoned with TexasBBqRub:

P1020473.jpg

indirect in the egg:

P1020474.jpg

a few ABT´s as a snack after 2 hours:

P1020475.jpg

P1020480.jpg

all in all was the ribs 4,5 h in the egg @ 235 F.

P1020481.jpg

P1020484.jpg

P1020485.jpg

P1020487.jpg

P1020489.jpg

P1020494.jpg

was a very, very bad result.

Texture was very dry. Admit, the pics looks not so bad, but friends, it actually was. Very dry.

And really no flavor. Only the rub gave the meat a liitle flavor, but no beef flavor or smoke flavor (added mesquite chips to the lump), was there.

Not sure what went wrong, but it was the worst cook since years...

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    EggSimon: Those are flanken cut beef short ribs, which for me, are not suited at all for a long cook (unless braised in a pot). We often do that cut Korean style, but they are cooked hot and fast, pulled at med/med-rare. And much to Korean tradition, the fat is welcomed. :blush: There are several other beef rib cuts much more suitable to long cooks. The problem was the cut of beef you chose. Max low n slow for flanken IMO would have been 2 hours, but even then, you would not have acheived the result you were after. These were simply cooked too long for the cut. Don't let it ruin your taste for beef ribs, but next time, choose beef ribs (they look a lot like spares, NOT separated either!) or the English cut shorts. Just cooked the wrong cut, too long. Sorry it was a bust! :( It'll be better next cook! :)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    As I looked at your photos I thought - those don't look like the type ribs I cooked a few weeks back. Little Chef's post was most helpful! I actually purchased ribs that had been cut - don't know why as they also had uncut....mine were surprisingly good (the first time I had ever cooked beef ribs). Take heart - the ABT's look awesome! :)
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Thanks LC for that help. Will try it next time as mentioned.