Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briskets and Platesetters?

Options
Daddio
Daddio Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been smoking beef brisket on my large BGE for several years. I've always placed the meat on a V-rack that sets in a drip pan that sets on the cooking grid. The last few times, I've gotten good smoke flavor, but the meat has been drier than I like.[p]I have seen posts where the brisket is placed directly on the cooking grid (without V-Rack or drip pan) over an inverted platesetter. Is the platesetter the best way to go?

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Daddio,
    I use indirect, inverted plate setter for my low and slow cooks. I also always use a drip pan under the briskets and butts to prevent burns on the plate setter. If I want more smoke flavor, the drip pan goes on the plate setter, meat on the grid.[p]For a moist meat, put a heavy musterd rub on and use your v rack and drip pan with plate setter. Some folks put a little water in the pan but I never needed to.[p]Just a thought- keep a nice cap of fat on that brisket to help keep things juciy. You can layer a bacon blanket on the brisket to keep it nice an cosy if the fat has been trimmed. [p]Good Gosh, I'm starten to make myself hungry.[p]Clay Q

• Clay Q,
    I have seen posts that say put the fat cap below and on top which do you prefer?

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Kevin in Atlanta,
    The school of old time bbq says that fat will melt and baste the meat, so the fats on top. Others have methods that will differ so this is a subjective area. Remember that a lot of heat is radiating from the dome and my brisket likes to keep a cap on. I do the same for my pork shoulders and - I can hardly wait, my picnic roast.

• Daddio
    Daddio Posts: 20
    Options
    Clay Q and Kevin, I always keep the fat cap on top too. Just a habit I picked up in Texas from the those that introduced me to slow smoked brisket.

• Daddio,
    thanks for the info, this has got to be the most helpful and responsive forum on the net. I have learned a wealth of information from all that post here. Just wanted to let everyone know it doesn't go unappreciated.