Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami cook time

Options
Egg Master 3000
Egg Master 3000 Posts: 323
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

I decided to take advantage of cheap corned beef due to St. Patty's day to attempt my first pastrami!

I picked up a corned brisket point that is a bit over 3 lbs. for the wife and I to try. I am planning on using third eye's recipe of course!

My question is, how long approx. at 250 dome would it take to get a 3 lb. hunk o meat around 170ish using the foil finish method? I do not have access to a pressure cooker so I am going to give the foil a shot. At the bottom of the page he said that to bring a 4 lb to 150 takes about 5 hrs. Just looking for a time to start!

Thanks!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Thirdeyes page will produce great results. I did a good long rinse as my first store corned cuts were pretty salty.

These are not pressure cooked either, man they are gooooood.
    pastramiwet2.jpg

pastramiwet1.jpg

If you have some left overs make some pastrami burgers.
    pastrami-burger.jpg

You are in for some good eat'n.

As for done temperature I don't recall going that high, however, follow the instructions and the results will be well rewarding.

GG
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    GG:
    That looks great!
    I was thinking along the same line with St. Patty's Day just around the conner. Going to the market today, to see what may be there for the taking.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Are you sure it's a point? I'd be concerned it would be too fatty and would even fall apart.

No reason to pressure cook it - just smoke it and it'll be fine.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've done corned beef to pastrami a couple of times. The results were pretty good. Then I came across a not about NY deli pastrami. The article mentioned that the pastrami was roasted, then steamed. As it happened, I had a chunk of homemade pastrami in the 'fridge. I took it out, and thin sliced a few ounces. Draped the slices across a plate with a bit of water in it, and waved it for maybe 2 minutes. Best yet!

It seems to me that the last bit of steaming after the roasting causes the thin slices to become very tender, without loosing much flavor,
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I've done points for all my pastrami cooks, per Thirdeye's method, and they have all come out great. Mine have been about 3 to 4 pounds and it usually takes about 5 hours to smoke. I finish them in a dutch oven on the egg, in beer. Like you, I've been stocking up on corned beef! Friends now request it.

nye004.jpg

nye005.jpg
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    Thank you all for your help so far.

GG: I sure hope so! Looks great!

Fidel: Not exactly sure now... I am at work. I went with the cheaper one at the store, not sure if that is a difference between brands or what part it is.

Fluffyb: If it turns out great I may have to buy another one while they are on sale! Regretfully, I only have a small fridge so I probably cannot store more than one in there.

I am soaking right now... plan to cook starting monday morning and have for dinner that night with leftovers for lunch!
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I did a flat last weekend here:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1054871&catid=1#

Mine was just over 4lbs, and took longer than I expected...just under 7 hours, but I was more at 225 dome instead of 250. It hung out at 150ish for a long time...kinda low for a plateau, but you never really can tell with brisket.

It turned out great!

fc
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Out here the flats are pretty small, I look for the thickest I can find. Some of the pre-corned was a bit salty I got to a point where I did a pretty long soak before smoking. Dang that stuff is good though.

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You can also do the braise portion of the cook in a crockpot rather than tin foil. I have done three over the last couple weeks that have come out really nice.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You can also do the braise portion of the cook in a crockpot rather than tin foil. I have done three over the last couple weeks that have come out really nice.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    Ok cool. I will keep you updated. Thanks!
  • BBQR
    BBQR Posts: 68
    Options
    Have any of you tried the Honey Maple or other glaze mentioned at the bottom of third eye's site? Might make the whole pastrami thing a little to sweet, but looking for thoughts from anybody who may have tried it?
  • BBQR
    BBQR Posts: 68
    Options
    After looking at your photos, I realize I should have gotten a second corn beef for the rest of the family. I am going to have to cook this secretly without them knowing!