Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Center Cut Pork Loin Help?

Options
crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased two 4 1/2 pound boneless center cut pork loins from Tom Thumb tonight. Tom Thumb did not have pork shoulders. Can I cook the center cut pork loins basically the same way I cook bone-in pork shoulders?

Thanks!
__________ Chris

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    no - too lean. You'll dry them out if you go low and slow unless you pull them off at 140-145. They will not be pulled pork - but will make for a nice roast.

Cook with a quick sear then roast them at 300 or so until they are 140-145 internal temps.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Chris: As Fidel has offered, loins are too lean for a true low n slow expecting pulled pork results. I cook mine direct, raised grid, at 375-400*, turning often. I pull at 137-140* internal, and allow a good rest (15 minutes or so) prior to slicing. You can add a few pieces of wood to get a smoked flavor if you choose. My two cents.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chris,

I've had great results doing loins at 250*. Just pull them off at 135-140*

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• crmilt
    Options
    Thanks to all for the responses. Live and learn. I was hoping to make it more pulled pork. Son home for college loves the pulled pork.

Maybe I can cook it a little longer, chop it up, mix in some sauce and he will not know the difference.
    __________ Chris
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'm half embarrassed to admit that I've tried this.

It wasn't good. About like sawdust drenched in bbq sauce.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Make him some SLICED pork BBQ...it'll be some of the finest pork he's ever eaten if following the info provided above! Don't try to disquise what will be an amazing pork roast, as cheap pulled pork! ;) He can still have it BBQ 'style'. You may make a new 'favorite' for him. :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    crmilt,

You've got a Papered chef, a should be a chef and a could be a chef telling you what to do. :laugh: you decide in the end though. ;)
  • crmilt
    Options
    Again, thanks to all for the advice. Sliced pork sandwiches sounds like the way to go!
    __________ Chris