Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do I do wrong????

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, last night, had company over, so I did steak on the egg. Turned out pretty good (did overcook slightly) Decided that since I had the egg fired up, I'd bring it down to 200 and put a 3lb butt on, figuring I'd take it off this morning and do lunch at work. Went to bed around 11, checked the egg and the temp was holding steady (since 7pm) at about 225. Got up this morning, egg was COLD, as was meat which was about half cooked. Did this happen due to burning at a high heat for the steaks?

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Sandi,[p]What were your settings on the top and bottom vents?[p]Elder Ward

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Sandi,
    That is a tough one. Did you notice if the fire was going when you put the butt on?? It takes quite a while, even without fire, to cool the egg down from searing temps. To keep the fire going AND cool the egg down it would take a very long time. Me thinks your fire went out while it was closed down to cool. I think if I was attempting what you did I might shut the egg down totally, let cool, then refire up a smaller fire.[p]Seems better to go from a low slow fire to a hotter cook than what you did. Good luck!![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Sandi,[p]Did you start out with a full load of charcoal?
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Sandi,[p]That's an easy one - you ran out of fuel. Doing steaks eats lots of lump - lots! If you did not start out with a totally full firebox full f lump - you face a chance of your fire going out either by lack of fuel or so little fuel left that it burnt one side then couldn't move to where more fuel is in the firebox. Very common!![p]On long cooks (over 4 hrs) always start with full load of fresh lump. Old lump looks good but has much less fuel in itself than a fresh piece.[p]Tim