Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

side tables

greendean
greendean Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased the bge xl and it has brought the neighborhood together. They all want to eat from it. One neighbor bought me side tables for it, and it appears that I will have to disassemble half of the bge to put them on. Does anyone have any advide for me? :whistle:

Comments

• Sounds like you have great neighbors!! Accept the side tables, head over to the local market and buy a huge pork butt and treat them to the best tastin bbq they ever ate. Just be careful........when they eat the pork butt, they may all wanna move in!! I just returned from my local egg dealer, having bought more Eggcessories. I've now figured out that I am generating more of an investment in my Egg than in my house!! I am going to suggest to my wife that we sell the house and move into the Egg!! Good luck!! Hi to all neighbors!!
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Dean - Unfortunately, you will have to at least loosen the bottom band in order to install the screws that hold the side tables in place. Not a big deal but well worth the effort.

Sounds like you've got great neighbors - keep feedin''em.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    >and it appears that I will have to disassemble half of the BGE to put them on. Does anyone have any advise for me?

Yes, be careful loosening the bolts.
  • I put a pair of these on a few weeks ago and it is not too hard. If you have cable (zip) ties available, you should put some on the hinge on back to help secure the top and bottom bands together. All you have to do is to loosen the bottom band. In my experience, I had to completely remove the bottom band bolt to have enough 'play' to slip in the screws, but doing this you won't have to remove the dome and will not have to deal with "realignment drama" you may have seen.

Good luck! They have made my life easier.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    dean, it is not a project at all... at least it wasn't on my large. I didn't even raise the dome! all I did was remove the bottom band bolt. pull the band away from the egg far enough (don't kink it though) to insert the clinch studs from the inside out. put the nuts on the studs loosely so the studs don't fall out. then, reinstall the band bolt and tighten securely. you are now done messin' with the band. takes maybe 5 minutes. If the xl is appreciably different from the large, could be a different story. dunno.

once that's done, just follow the instruction sheet. I just finished (literally) installing a set of wooden egg-mates on my large. took about 20 minutes start to finish. the only thing I have installed on my egg that was easier than this was the DFMT. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    As other have said in above post, just make sure you tie the hinge in place so it doesn't "spring" on you when you pull the lower band out...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    if you do it as I described, nothing will "spring". no tie wraps or plastic retainer bars are needed. leave dome closed. repeat... do not open dome!!! remove bottom band bolt. nothing happens.

this ain't difficult. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut