Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak help needed

Options
Central Pork
Central Pork Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a small dinner party this evening. I have aged ribeyes 1 1/2" thick for the men and some 1" filet mignons for the gals. I have never actually cooked a filet on the egg. I normally do a Trex on my steaks but dont know if the filets are thick enough for this method. I would like to time the cook so all the steaks come off together. Since I am not for sure how all of the guests prefer their steaks I will go for safety and cook all till medium. Should I sear the ribeyes 90 seconds a side at 700 degrees as usual and skip a sear altogether for the filets and then after the ribeyes rest just put the filets back on at the 400 degree mark along with the ribeyes? Any suggestions or help as far as time and temp for both type steaks are appreciated.
CP

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Options
    CentralPork,
    You can try staggering the times you add the steaks to the grill, pulling off, and continuing with the full blown TRex method, but I think I'd throw the thick ones on first and after I flipped them the first time, I'd add the thinner ones. After the next flip, I'd shut the grill down, but leave the steaks in, and continue moving things around the grill, using the stacking method to complete the cook. The grill shouldn't be preheated too long, or it's a problem to get the temp to drop. I'd light the fire on one side so I could rotate the grill to get the steaks away from the main heat as needed.[p]Stacking really works nice with steaks. After the sear, just keep piling them, flipping, repiling, and moving around until they are done. Put the rarer ones on the bottom and the top. The center ones are being kept away from the higher temps, and they are getting basted by the top ones. [p]One problem with this method is flashback, because you are opening and closing the dome. You are priming yourself for the Poof!! So, minimize the amount of fresh lump, wear a glove on the arm opening the dome, and vent it before opening, if possible. Hey, it will be good entertainment for anyone out braving the damp evening weather with you.[p]I'd probably ask ahead of time if anyone is looking for well done, or rare and keep that in mind when working your magic. [p]As with any meat, make sure it sits for awile before serving. [p]Mike in MN

• Central Pork
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Thanks for your response. Stacking is the one thing I hadnt thought of. So you dont feel the filets are too thin to sear? I was planning on a 60 sec sear per side on the filets and a 90 second per side sear on the ribeyes. After the rest I'll probably put the ribeyes back on the egg about 4 minutes ahead of the filets.
    Thanks again,
    CP

• Mike in MN
    Options
    CentralPork,
    I would sear them. But, they are going to cook pretty fast, once you get them back on the grill. So, stacking may still work, and also the variety of rare to well done may come into play for your stacking.[p]I have had better luck with the method I described. My method is a variation of the TRex, but I don't take as long to dwell. If the grill isn't preheated to lava proportions, it doesn't take that long to cool down, once you shut it down, especially with a full load of meat in there. [p]I find this egg cooking to be more of a learning curve than I thought it would be in the beginning. I've been at it a couple of years, and it's more an approximation with a feel for what's happening than everyone talks about. I've tried the timing/exact temp methods, and have had mixed results. I use the dome temp as more of a guide... It could say cool-warm-hot and I'd manage things the same way, irregardless of what the actual temp was. All this stuff will cook at 200° or 500° [p]Mike in MN[p]PS stacking works especially well with pork chops and cut up chicken.

• Central Pork
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Thanks again for the help. I've been at it for about 6 months. I have a large and a small egg, so I will sear on the small and have the large waiting at 350 - 400 to finish the steaks after they rest from the sear. Have a great weekend.
    CP