Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak sear ... with butter

Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently I read a post that mentioned coating a steak with melted butter (clarified perhaps?) before searing on in a cast iron skillet. Can someone lead me to the post or provide some additional info?[p]Thanks and oinks!

Comments

• Pigasso,
    there have been a bunch of posts about this. .. one way to do it is as follows. . .[p]put cast iron pan in egg and fire it up to over 700 degrees (you are basically following trex method). ..coat your steak as you normally would (i use dizzy cow lick). . .put clarified butter in pan (people advocate clarified butter at these temps cause the milk fat will burn and can add bitter taste if you use regular butter). . .sear the steak just like trex in the cast iron. . .when you pull the steaks to rest, pull the pan as well, and continue with normal trex method. . . [p]other method, is to trex as normal, then, during the dwell, put a pad of butter on top of the steak to melt in (this does not need to be clarified as you are working at lower temps now.. .you can also add garlic and/or herbs to your butter to taste. . .[p]either way works great, particularly with filet mignons as they have less natural fat. . .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    is it a seared/ fried effect you get on the steak if you go with the first option, ive been thinking of trying lard on the steaks on the cast iron grid with the flat side up. or is the butter flavor what your after in the first option

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    i wouldn't call it fried. ..but what you end up with is a more even char (kind of like a ruth chris steak or even an outback steak) than searing direct on the grid. ..plus the infusion of the butter flavor.. .again, IMHO i think this works best with a filet/tenderloin steak as opposed to a rib eye or a sirloin/strip. ..

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I 'm right there with you on this one Max!![p]I'd be careful heating butter to thoes temps....toooo many weird chemical things goin' on there for me!![p]Duck fat.....dat's what I'm talkin' bout!![p]Evans[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    Comparing this to a Ruth's Chris steak is a good thing. Comparing this to an Outback steak is not a selling point. Outback the purveyors of crappy meat soaked in tenderizer. Yuck.

• basselope,
    you're right. . .i was just talking about the even charing you get in the cast iron. . .[p]actually, until i got my egg, i really liked outback steaks as far as value for the steak compared to other places. ...

• Chubby,
    oh yea, when you through that butter on that 800 degree cast iron, all kinds of nasty things happen. ..spitten, hissen flaming stuff firing back at ya ... you definitely want to be wearing a full arm glove and have long tongs in your hand. .. .even just putting an oiled steak on the cast iron, that thing talks back at you. .. .[p]some things in life are worth the risk though :)

• mad max beyond eggdome, why sear in the egg instead of on the stovetop (and finish/dwell in the egg)? Aren't the results the same? [p]

• fishlessman
    basselope,
    glad that i got my egg befor the outback opened here, with trex steaks, i havent had a need to go there.

fukahwee maine

• George,
    couple of reasons. .[p]1. i'm not sure you can get a cast iron pan up to 800 degrees on your stove top, and if you do, the smoke in the kitchen will be tremendous . .. i know my exhaust fan can't handle that very well and the house would stink for a week (ok, maybe the house would smell good, but you get my point)[p]2. by searing in the egg, even using cast iron, you still get all the egg benefits (charcoal fired taste, moisture retention - i sear dome closed) . .[p]so, i think the flavor does benefit a little more by searing in the egg, and you avoid a whole lot of kitchen mess. ...[p]just my 2 kopeks worth

• fishlessman
    George,
    ive seared steaks in the kitchen using a huge wok burner, just salt in the pan, no butter or oil and the smoke is huge. results not even close to the egg for the sear, but still good. i cant imagine how much smoke the butter would generate

fukahwee maine

• heres the link
    [ul][li]link[/ul]
  • hey mike, having a little trouble posting this morning???heeeee
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Pigasso,[p]Yep, those are mine, but I didn't post the pic.[p]Mike
  • Lawn Ranger,
    i just figured it was you hittin the send key one two many times. ...wonder who it was then . ..hmmmmmmm[p]now, get back in the workshop and get caught up on all those handles and charms!@! [p];-)

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I know I know who did the dumbest thing while posting. I checked all the ip addresses and figured out it was......
    I aint telling...........LOL

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Chef Wil,
    Let me guess....It was Bobby Flay, wasn't it?