Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lg vs Xl

Options
Bear 007
Bear 007 Posts: 383
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys, just wanna say this is a really cool forum.
I've been cooking on a Webber performer for 15 years now and I'm getting sick of replacing the guts every 3 years. These eggs sound really nice but I have some questions, can I fit a large brisket on the large BGE or am I going to have to get the Extra Lg. I also like to do thighs allot, can I fit 6 lbs of chicken thighs on the Lg size BGE. I live in Northern Maine, its not uncommon for me to be out there when its 10 degrees or colder, will this thing break in sub zero weather.
Thanks guys.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    You will be fine on all counts! You can increase the cooking area in a large with a grill extender or get an ajustable rig from the ceramic grillstore. Exceptionally large briskets may require a foiled brick or something under the middle until they shrink. I have all the sizes and the larges get most of my stuff.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MemphisQue
    Options
    I think you would be fine with a large which is what I have. Live in the south so don't get too many nights of single digits but based on the pics on this site from friends up north I bet you could cook on the north pole with an egg. This will be the one of the best purchases you ever make. I know I have not touched my gasser since I got the egg and I grill 4-5 nights a week.
  • Bear 007
    Options
    Thanks, I usually go threw abought 35-40,10 lb bags of lump a year with the Webber will this be abought the same with the BGE, Im out there at least 4 days a week.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You'll find it amazing the mileage you get out of a bag of lump. You are talking 4 to 8 cooks out of a ten pound bag or more. I wasn't knocking the XL at all but I would check ceramicgrillstore.com to see what is available in terms of rigs for it.

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Don't throw your Weber away!! :ohmy: It will become a storage unit for all of your BGE toys :laugh: :P :laugh:
    I am sure others will chime in with pics of the amazing amounts of food you can cook on a large. With the money you save by not getting the XL you will have almost enough to get a small! Trust me, you will have more than one EGG :) :laugh: :P :cheer:
  • mbmike
    mbmike Posts: 32
    Options
    You will be so happy cooking on the BGE that no matter what size you buy you'll end up bying a small or even a mini so the others aren't lonely
  • dwunderlich
    Options
    I have an XL and I wish I would have picked the L. I have only used up grill space once on the XL and that was to smoke 50 lbs of butts, which I could have fit on the Large by stacking them.

As for cold I live in MN and haven't had any problems with my grill in two winters now.
  • Bear 007
    Options
    I see what you mean, you just have to get a little imaginative with extension rings and your setup. I would rather spend the difference in money between the two on accessories. The pizza stone sounds real nice.
    The spectrum ?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I guessed at your handle
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Oh young grasshopper. With time you will learn the secret of the XL. With lump pushed to one side and a raised half grid you can cook at many temps at the same time as well. Whole meal one one Egg you can.LOL
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MeatEater
    Options
    I purchased an xl last year in July. Prior to my purchase, I had used my sister-in-laws xl for two years pretty regularly, and it was always for a large crowd of people. I am really happy with the xl, but for a family of four it is more than I need on a daily basis, and I grill minimum of four nights a week. I just talked the wife into a small, that way I can take it to camp, etc..., and to keep the xl company on the patio!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Love the handle.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Any pointers on how to talk the wife into a new small egg purchase? :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Psssst,

Tell her it's her's. Worked for me on several occasions :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bear 007
    Options
    I'm trying to convinced my wife into letting me use our tax money for a new BGE
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Not sure how well it will go over yet that I need (want) a 2nd Green Egg. Certainly that must come before any decorating ideas on the priority scale...right? :laugh:
  • GreenLeafBBQ
    Options
    In competition, we have to trim the flat on some briskets over 15 lbs. They all fit pretty well once they shrink, but initially they are a bit tight. If they are a bit big, put a foil shield under the parts that might hang over the plate setter.

You are OK in the cold - they are made to withstand extreme temperatures in both directions.

Good points to consider: Lifetime Warranty, efficient use of fuel, wealth of information here and elsewhere on cooking specifically on a BGE, excels in many phases of BBQ, Baking, Grilling etc.
  • GreenLeafBBQ
    Options
    The small is the smallest "Fully Functional BGE"...it has the ability to burn for 10 hours on a single load of lump charcoal,(so you can realistically smoke a pork shoulder), it has a plate setter available as an accessory. The best part? It is the most functional/portable BGE available.

I love our Small BGE - we routinely cook for 2-4 people on it. I've also got a mini, but because it does not have a plate setter or a large enough fire box it is essentially a little grill.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Do not need plate setter on mini with mini woo and pizza stone.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I live where we occasionally touch -40, like say for example, today :blink: :angry:. The egg handles it just fine, the cook maybe not so well. I completely agree with what Steve told you as well.

Doug
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yeah but that is in centigrade :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    compare the size of the grates to what you're using now.

18" diameter vs. 24".

as someone who is very experienced, you probably have a good idea for what accessories you have or might want to get... there are definitely more accessories for the large, the XL is still lagging behind.

I have an XL and love it. If I were to do it all over again.... knowing then what I know now, I still would have gone with the XL.

plus I've already planted the seed for a 2nd... so the XL may get a new friend soon.
    context is important :)
  • Bear 007
    Options
    How many 1hr fires will a 10 lb. bag of lump do, I know it will vary, but give me a general idea.