Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small egg will not get over 400

Options
Tomjohn
Tomjohn Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a small and large egg, I can light them at the same time and the large will get to 600 in twenty minutes. The small will be at 200, I. Am using dry lump with the egg completely cleaned out fire box is aligned with the draft door. Blowing air in the egg I can get to 600 but it falls back to 400. I have done a forum search but didn't find a solution,
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Haven't had that problem at all (excpet the time a couple of the holes were blocked). I can get my small to 500+ with no problem. I always remove the metal top and leave the bottom vent completely opened. I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will jump in here and give you some thoughts. Good Luck!
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I had the same problem and thought for sure my egg was totally cleaned out. Then I watched this video (link below) and realized my egg wasn't as clean as I thought. I did as the video prescribed and now my egg gets over 600 with no problem. The guy in the video even says "all of you that email me complaining your egg won't get hot, well this is why."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFN2xeGE3Kw
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    The large has an air intake opening about 4 times the size. You really need a healthy amount of lump and ALL the air holes cleaned out. Then the little one will rip like all his big brothers and sisters. :P
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Heat = fuel + air
    If fuel is down the heat will be down
    If air is down the heat will be down
    You just need to find out which it is. :ermm:
  • Tomjohn
    Options
    I completely removed the fire box and cleaned with a shop vac last night filled lump to the bottom of the fire ring, 400 was max temp. On the bright side the twice baked potatoes were eggcelent.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    I do what Elizabeth said.
    Are you real sure on the holes?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    rig yourself a raised grid, if you don't have one and start with more lump and you'll get higher temps.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Have you checked to make sure your thermometer is correct?
  • Tomjohn
    Options
    Calibrated both thermometers tried both in the small.
  • Tomjohn
    Options
    Calibrated both thermometers tried both in the small.
  • WingRider
    Options
    If the pieces of charcoal are too small they will not let the air flow the way it needs to.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    sounds like you are doing all right.
    Try pull off the entire cast iron daisy wheel with dome closed as Egg comes up to temp. You need the up draft to stoke your fire.
    It will not get as hot with the dome open.
    Even if you set the daisy vent holes wide open it will not get max.
    Either slide the daisy wheel open to one large opening or pull the entire unit off.
    Also if you stir your lump a little after it is burning good before you add the cooking grid it will spread the hot lump around. 5 minutes later you should be rocking.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas