Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomato Pie

Options
Egg Juju
Egg Juju Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few folks wanted more info about the tomato pie recipe from my last post. The CFO has been making this for awhile now. It is always a hit with guests and we like it too. The recipe is too easy and very tasty. She has even made it with canned San Marzano's and that is good too. Fresh is better.

Tomato Pie
Perfect choice when those summer tomatoes start filling up your window sill!

Ingredients

1 9-inch pie shell
1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
3 to 4 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 c. sliced basil (about 8 leaves)
2 c. grated cheese (combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozarella)
3/4 c. mayonnaise
1 t. Frank's Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)
Salt and Pepper

Instructions

Prehead oven to 350. Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or longer until lightly golden.
Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using either paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a potato ricer.
Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.
In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snow ball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes.

Serves 6

Pie crust with onions and tomatoes...
F.JPG

...add the basil...
G.JPG

...and the topping...
H.JPG

...bake until bubbly...
M.JPG

I hope you enjoy!
Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    That looks fantastic
    Thanks for the recipe :)

Shane
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Thank you for that recipe..another way to help use up the tomatoes I'll be planting.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Gator Bait
    Options

CC, that looks great. I haven't had tomato pie in years.

Here is a version I did years ago that was very good.

1 - 9" deep dish pastry shell (I used a 9" pie crust)
    4 large tomatoes, peeled & sliced. I would also seed them.
    1/2 Cup chopped Basil
    5 or 6 green onions thinly sliced
    1 pound of bacon, cooked, drained and chopped
    1 t dried oregano
    1/2 t garlic powder
    1/2 t crushed red pepper (if you have it)
    2 Cups grated cheese, your choice.
    1/4 cup mayo

Preheat oven to 375º
    In alternating layers, fill pastry shell/pie crust with tomatoes, basil, scallions, bacon, garlic powder, oregano and red pepper.
    In a small bowl mix cheese and mayo and spread over the top of the pie. Cover loosely with aluminum foil that is either sprayed with no-stick spray or buttered.
    Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes and remove foil, bake for another 30 minutes. Can be served warm or cold.

To peel tomatoes score them with a thin X on the bottom and put them in boiling water for about 30 seconds, remove and cool and the peel should come right off. I would seed them to get rid of the water in the seeds which do not have a lot of flavor anyways. Depending on the size of the tomatoes you may need an extra or two. I omitted the mayo and put a good layer of Parmesan cheese on top of the last layer of shredded cheese. Either way will work. I also used a good quality, flavorful bacon, the original recipe called for half a pound but by the time you get it cooked your going to want the whole package. ;)

Blair

• BigBadger
    Options
    That's something I could really enjoy! It looks wonderful. Gotta love fresh basil....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Speaking as one who ask: thank you for posting.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks, it looks really good. I would like to try it on the egg, I love the way egged cheese tastes.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini