Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Recipe Help

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to grill my wife some fish for Valentines Day and have no clue where to start. I am not a seafood fan, but we are eating healthy and she is not a chicken breast fan.

I promised her a good fish dinner, any ideas.
Has to be a fish I can buy at a smaller grocery store, Shrimp is an option if I have to.

Thanks
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    salmon should be available just about anywhere and is easy to cook with great results!!....

what i do is take about 3 -4 lemons, slice them thin...

prep your fish by rubbng it with some olive oil, and then use a rub like dizzy tsunami spin, raging river, or shaking the tree (or any other good lemon pepper rub), or if you don't have any rubs, simply use salt and pepper ...

set up your egg simple, regular grid, at around 425 dome temp....take the lemon slices and spread them all over the grid, and then lay the fish, skin side down, right on the lemons....while you won't get any grill marks on the fish, you also don't have to worry about them sticking to the grid at all ....don't even worry about turning the fish...depending on thickness of the filets, they should take about 15 minutes to cook....test them at around the 10 minute mark by 'forking' them in the center to see if they start to flake apart at all....also, at around the 5 minute point in the cook, i like to add a couple of pads of butter on each filet and a squirt of lemon juice on top for added moisture/flavor....

when they are done, simply lift them off the lemon slices (they will be useless, just throw them away when your egg cools off) ....serve with a simple sauce made from sour cream with lots of dill mixed in....yummy...

you can also go to the dizzy pig recipe site and try chris's maple syrup salmon...very good!!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I agree with Max, salmon should be available most anywhere and makes for a very nice meal.

Whatever you do don't buy tilapia. It either has no flavor or tastes like mud - in my ever so humble opinion. No offense to those of you that like it.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I'd say one key point for people new to fish is don't assume you hate fish just because you didn't like one meal. Flavors and textures vary widely from one kind of fish to the next.

Salmon is nothing like tuna...is nothing like catfish...is nothing like mahi. Some are light and flaky, others are fatty and succulent. Some are lightly flavored, others have a stronger flavor.

And preparation also has a profound effect.
    Salmon grilled to medium-rare has a completely different texture than salmon cooked through. Or you can poach it, pan fry it, bake it, roast it on a cedar plank, etc. Similarly, tuna can be cooked through, or seared over a screaming hot fire, so the exterior is nicely seared, but the interior is basically raw. The difference is remarkable.

So if you think sea bass is bland, try tuna. Don't like that whole snapper looking at you while you eat it?...remove the head before you grill it. Still look too much like your beloved aquarium dweller?...fillet it and pan fry it. Just don't try one dish and declare that you hate all fish.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I agree with the others, salmon is an easy cook and one of the healthiest things you can eat.
    Max's recipe/method is a good one, salmon is also very easy to do on a cedar plank. There is lots of information in the Search Forum, check it out :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Pa_BBQ,

En papillote works with almost any fish or shellfish. Easy to do and can make a beautiful presentation(not like this one). You can add a few shrimps or scallops to the bundle as well.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=857615&catid=1

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON