Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skinless Spatcocked Chicken

Fearless Flatlander
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two of our household are now on diets... skinless chicken breast type stuff. Anyway I cooked a spatchocked chicken last night without the skin. It worked. I marinated it in buttermilk with Kaptain Karl's Nonthreatening Rub (the two dieters are also spiceaphobic so I put together this rub} for a day. Toweled off about 95% of the marinade. Put on a thick layer of the rub. Cooked it half hour on a side at 350, breast side down first. Put on sauce twice during the last half hour. It was good the rub stuck to the marinade and with the baisted sauce it didn't have that animic look of skinless chicken. Just thought I would pass this on for those times when you are cooking for the caloricly challeneged. FF

Comments

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Fearless Flatlander,[p]I dont eat the skin either. I do cook chicken with the skin on to keep it from drying out too much. Just peel back the skin and season under it and lay the skin back.
  • Boccie,[p]As posted before, I usually cook the chickens skinless and have had great results. I actually cooked the last one on a direct set-up with the grate in the normal position and the bird still had plenty of juice.
  • Boccie,[p]Great advice and another thing a cook can do if he doesn't plan to eat the skin is to cook it skin side down all thru the cook to hold all the moisture inside the chicken. Swim cap method does work well.[p]Dave