Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter or not??

AZ Geoff
AZ Geoff Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on doing some pork babyback ribs tomorrow. First time doing them. I want to do them on a raised grid (on a rib rack) with a drip pan. Should I be using a plate setter or not??
Thanks for any input!![p]Az Geoff

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    AZ Geoff,[p]I always use a placesetter and don't know if raised grid will help that much on indirect. depends on how many you are cooking. I usually cook 3 slabs at a time.[p]Dizzy Pigged up.[p]bb3slabs.jpg[p]Foil for 1 1/2 hours.[p]ribsinfoil.jpg[p]Brushing on a little sauce and finishing.[p]Ribs3pk.jpg[p]I cook indirect at 225-250 for 3 hours, foil for 1 1-1/2 then indirect for the last 30-45 minutes with sauce.[p]Good luck,[p]CWM
  • AZ Geoff,
    Yes. Shield them from the fire so they don't dry out or burn on the ends. The plate setter is ideal for that. Put your drip pan on the upside down plate setter, grid on it's upturned legs. Put your rib rack on the raised grid. Cook low-n-slow. Enjoy.

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    You don't have to use a platesetter. The pic below is a 3 slab rib cook where after properly prepping the ribs, they were cooked on a raised grid over a drip pan (no platesetter) at 250 dome temp for 3 hours (this is to get a good smokey flavor in them), then tightly double wrapped in foil, 2 slabs per foil pack at 275 for 1 hour, then removed the drip pan, unwrapped the ribs, sauced them and cooked them direct at 250 for about 1 hour, painting them with sauce a couple of times. I never took their temperature. They were done when they bent and fell apart. Best I can offer.