Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Response Time

Options
saintpaulpuck
saintpaulpuck Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie question. I have had my Themapen for a few months and it has served its purpose fairly well. However, I am wondering if mine has a delayed response time. I find that it takes 15-20 seconds to "stabilize" before it reaches basic consesus on a temp. During this time it is usually increasing in output temp. It seems from reading other posts on the forum that others may be getting a better response time. What should I expect that from mine? Is it possible I am not using it correctly?

I can't find a model # on my thermapen - it says "Super-Fast Thermapen" on the back.

Comments

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    I love mine but don't think its a 5 second read like they advertise.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Feel free to call them. I felt the same as you when checking temps so I gave them a call. I was sent a booklet and they politely explained to me that the probe was working properly and it was the meat that was changing temps. Tim :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    It's supposed to be three seconds. They do have a great tech support. It's possible yours is faulty. ;)

http://www.thermoworks.com/pdf/thermapen_splashproof_datasheet.pdf
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    2Fategghead--Thanks for the helpful response. For some reason, it never occurred to me that the meat was slowly increasing in temperature and that is why the Thermapen was inching up! I feel a little dumb for not thinking of that. :blush:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey how do you think I know. :blush:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Someone posted a specific response to this question a short while back, might have have been Tim (2Fategghead).

If one sees a fluctuation in the reading the probe is reading the actual changes in the food that is probed. Possible an air pocked or fat pocket.

Nevertheless, if you have questions call Thermoworks service. Amber has said many times they don't any unhappy customers - they work hard to have a well satisfied customer base.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    In addition to that I found that leaving it set to display the tenths of a degree was annoying if not distracting. I forget now how to change it to nearest degree but it was easy. Otherwise 15 seconds sounds like a possible defect.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I have not had those problems with mine so far. I would say it dials in the temp within a few seconds. Of course like others said above I would assume the meat's temp is rising so would never be a static number.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    I agree. Change the temp to full degrees rather than tenths then test it in boililng water, assuming that water boils in your area at around 212°. Use the boiling point calculator if you are at an elevated altitude. How long does that take to reach a stable temp, then call them if it takes much longer than 5-ish seconds.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Ron, You make a good point and the fine folks say the same. ;)

http://www.thermoworks.com/pdf/user_manuals/Thermapens/Thermapen_Splash_Proof_User_Manual.pdf

Instrument Configuration
    You can personalize your Super-Fast Thermapen by changing several factory default settings including changing the temperature display resolution from 0.1° to 1°. To reconfigure the setting, open the battery compartment (see Replacing
    the Batteries section for instructions on opening the battery compartment) and, using a bent paper clip, change the switch bank settings as instructed below.
    Switch 2 – Resolution
    Changes the instrument’s display unit between 0.1°(F or C) and 1°(F or C). The factory default is 0.1° resolution
    or switch set closest to the batteries.
    To change to 1° resolution, move the switch to the position furthest from the batteries.
    For detailed instructions visit www.thermoworks.com.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    When attempting to determine if the temperature reading is the result of the meat temperature increasing or because the instrument is slowing coming to equialibrium, it might be a good idea to measure the time it takes to measure the temperature of a liquid known to be (relatively) stable.

Water, boiling on a stove top, does not qualify. The act of boiling, by defintion, is the conversion of a liquid to a gas state. That gas can frequently, but only for a short duration, be at a temperature higher than the calculated boiling point. The result being that the indicated temperature can fluctuate.

How about this for an idea?
    [ul]
    [li]Fill a steel vacumn bottle with your boiling water.
    [li]Let rest for a couple of mintues then dump it - this will bring the vessel up to a temperature close to that of the liquid.
    [li]Now, refill with more boiling water. Let rest for a minute or two to allow it to stablize.
    [li]Insert your Thermapen into the liquid and measure the time it takes for the indicated temperature to stabalize.
    [li]Remove the probe and place in cool water to bring it down a bit.
    [li]Re-insert in the vacumn bottle liquid and time it again.
    [/ul]
    This process will remove most of the variables from the measurement process and also test the ability to repeat the behavior. If the gods be smiling upon you, the measured time should be short and consistant.
  • TimothyRobinson
    Options
    saintpaulpuck wrote:
    Newbie question. I have had my Themapen for a few months and it has served its purpose fairly well. However, I am wondering if mine has a delayed response time. I find that it takes 15-20 seconds to "stabilize" before it reaches basic consesus on a temp. During this time it is usually increasing in output temp. It seems from reading other posts on the forum that others may be getting a better response time. What should I expect that from mine? Is it possible I am not using it correctly?

I can't find a model # on my thermapen - it says "Super-Fast Thermapen" on the back.

SaintPaulPuck,
    Tim here from ThermoWorks. Sounds like the other Tim put his finger on the issue--new Thermapen users sometimes expect the temp to stop changing when the meat itself is constantly changing temperature as you watch. If your Thermapen is working correctly, you can have confidence that the temperature shown after 3 seconds is the accurate temp, even if it is changing as you watch. To make sure your Thermapen is working properly, perform an ice bath test making sure to create a proper ice bath (watch this video: http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2010/10/making-a-proper-ice-bath/ ). Hope that helps. Feel free to email me at tim@thermoworks.com if you are still having troubles or questions. Happy Egging!!