Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone got the ET-732 yet??

Options
Da Kine Green BBQ
Da Kine Green BBQ Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a confirmed order for one of these (late Xmas present) - but it's not arrived yet.

Anyone get one of these yet? Any comments/reviews on this new super-duper thermometer?

I can't wait to get one, so I can properly do a Big Brisket!!

Let us know!

Comments

• nysportsfan
    Options
    Mine was shipped today...now I need my egg!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I got mine today, haven't opened it yet :)
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    What is an ET 732? Newbie here.........
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    Never mind.....got it on line.......nice unit!! The Egg certainly does provide opportunities for Father's day!
  • S.FL Greengo
    Options
    I got one yesterday. I hope to try it out this weekend. I'll do another posting then.
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Oh Sophie!
    This is a very handy gadget. It is a remote thermometer. Digital readout. Has this little unit that you can take with you and watch the temperature of the meat inside the BGE!

So, like when you have to cook a very long time, like overnight, you don't have to sit my the BGE to check the coals or what-ever. Here is a link:
    http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm

Be careful when looking for these remote thermometers, the older models had some trobbles with the cable failing - temperaure rating for the probe is below the heat inside the BGE. We all hope this is improved on this latest model.

I am a gadget freak, so that ET-732 was on my "wish list". There's even micro-processor-controlled fans to regulate heat on the BGE. Serious geeky stuff. I am planning on home-making one using a microcontroler thing (something called an Arduino) I got from Xmas...

But - these may be way over-board.... so far, I have been getting along without these doo-dads. I really am trying to keep my cooking primal and simple. The gadgets are there because - well you know, I am a guy who likes these things. Gotta get one just because.
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    Man....really sounds like a must for all nighters. Gotta look further into it....but it does seem to free you up from baby sitting the grill quite so closely. Thanks for the info. Man, some of the stuff for controlling Egg heat is really out there.....like the Guru!! You can drop some serious bucks on that stuff. But, the toys can be fun. And I guess that's all part of it. Thanks.
  • Sip & Chat
    Options
    I recieved mine last week, very nice. Did an 8.5# Butt and this thing performed perfectly. At one point i went to my neighbors house about 250' away and never lost a signal even in his house.So far I'm very pleased, i purchased mine from these guy's.
    http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/Digital-Thermometers_c33.htm

Hope this was of some help to anyone considering the
    ET-732

Bob
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    Got one a few weeks ago - works great. Did a 9# butt and got plenty of sleep!

Wish I would have waited before I bought my ET-73. I can't get the thing to go more than 10 feet line of sight!! Maverick replaced it once, the new unit does the same, even with fresh batteries!

Well, its a mute point - I'll be using the 732 from now on. It has an awesome range!
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Used my brand-new ET-732 on Saturday to make 2 tri-tips.

I propped the lid open with a small twist drill bit to avoid crushing the cable - but I am not sure if this is necessary. Here are some images of the setup - and the MEAT!

On the left are the 2 roasts after searing at 500 degrees. And the remote reading unit. It has an irritating alarm, but - they need to be, right? The range is great - I can go anywhere inside my house and garage and front and back yard with signal.

46730724.jpg

6fd0577e.jpg

In this picture you can see a little strip of foil I used to protect the cable from the heat. I am not sure if this is necessary, but posts on the previous models of Maverick thermometers indicate something about the cabble being fragile. One of the improvements of the 732 is the heat survivability, though.

bfc289d5.jpg

Of course - the best part was the eating of Tri-Tip!

e22e586b.jpg

Check the done-ness of my third tri-tip - - the previous ones came out a tad too done on the inside. The ability to constantly monitor the internal meat temperature is one of the keys to getting it done just right!!!

5c2045a6.jpg