Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mornin' everybody!! I've got a rib question

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At eggtoberfest, a couple of guys were making sort of no-nonsense ribs the ron popeil way: set it and forget it.[p]Does anyone have a good "get a temp, put them on, flip em every 30 minutes for X hours" kind of recipe I can try this weekend?[p]Thanks in advance for your help, and Bobby, if that works, can I come and work for you? You could even name the place Eggsellence or something like that and my wife could be the hostess and we'd all only use our board names and if we were regulars here, we'd get a 10% discount.[p]Not that I've been giving this any thought...

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Check out my rib cook using the JimW technique, on my website..it`s pretty straightforward and easy..and makes so great ribs to boot...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Lately I've been doing ribs using the 3-1-X method, where X varies depending on whether they are spares or back ribs. So, 3 hours indirect at 250, wrap in foil for an hour at 250, and then finish for X indirect at 250, saucing if desired during the last 30 minutes. This sounds more like "set and forget" to me than flipping every 30 minutes.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    i just cook them direct on a raised grill with the ribs verticle. put the spice and mustard on, 250 dome. cut a rib off and eat at 5 hours, cut a rib off and eat at 6 hours and if not done try one at 7 hours.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I've been cooking my babybacks like the Wiz with an exception. I take a 1/4-3/4 mixture of bbq sauce and apple juice. Take that mixture on put it in with the ribs when foiling.
    Foil
    ribsinfoil.jpg[p]Finishing up.
    Ribs3pk.jpg[p]
    CWM[p]

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]That's what I'm talking about.[p]The best thing I've learned here is that rather than individually wrap each section or couple sections of ribs like I've been doing (which is sorta difficult and very messy), it is gonna be far easier to put them all in an aluminum pan and cover that. [p]Plus, when "un-foiling," there will be no real mess or worse, grease burns from the juice in the foil wrap.[p]Thanks guys.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Another thing that made me start foiling this way. You always have 1 pesky little rib on the short end that pokes threw the foil.[p]CWM
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Eggszachary!! That usually happens to me twice, and it drives me nuts.[p]And burns my hand...