Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stock Varieties - Pork?

Options
BigBadger
BigBadger Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see so many references to using the bones & shells, from Beef, lamb, poultry, Seafood, Shellfish, etc. but rarely ever Pork. Do any of you make a pork stock, and what would you typically use it for? I would guess that Asian cooking might utilize it. I find that the bones from Egged foods make particularly tasty stock.
pork8sm.png

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I use ham bones to make stock for split pea soup or pintos & ham
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    For pork green chili and soups. Also for braising.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ham bones for split pea and kale soups
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    One of the best soups I cook for the wife is bean soup with left over Ham Bones.

1 ham bone with some meat
    1 onion, diced
    1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
    1 (15.25 ounce) can kidney beans
    3 potatoes, cubed
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
    4 cups water
    6 cubes chicken bouillon

Place the ham bone, onion, tomatoes, kidney beans, potatoes, and green pepper into a 3 quart or larger slow cooker. Dissolve the bouillon cubes in water, and pour into the slow cooker.
    Cover, and cook on High until warm. Reduce heat to Low, and continue to cook for 5 to 6 hours.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    BigBadger

I buy pork neck bones, fresh hocks and rib tips to make stock. It is not really common but I find the demi glace and gravies are great. I have a bunch in the freezer from ham bones from Christmas. Smoked hocks make a terrific stock/ soup base

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    I use the ham bones each time I make a ham dinner. I know it's pork but I actually meant non-cured pork like a shoulder or leg. I found some recipes today and am looking forward to trying something different. Thanks all for the input!