Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problems with my Maverick probe

skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I always like to use two probes to get a second opinion. My two Webers suddenly started sinking into each other. (They read the same temp regardless of where the probes were.) My Egg dealer very graciously gave me a Maverick probe (no charge) to replace one of the Webers. (Chim-Chimney's in League City rocks!)

I did two 2" steaks tonight. I had the Weber in one (during the dwell) and the Maverick in the other. The Maverick was absolutely worthless! It consistently read 30 degrees above the true reading (as compared against the Thermopen. the Weber, and simply general logic). It was accurtate for reading the air temp. The instructions speak of having it at least two inches into the meat. With a 2" steak that is not possible. I am assuming since the probe was only one inch into the two inch steak that it was reading a way too hot temp. Given that there is nothing that needs to be more precise than a steak temp should I just trash the Maverick as being totally worthless (and not exchange it) or did I somehow get a defective one?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments