Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corning Beef for Pastrami:

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The link posted below by djm5X9 to Randys site has the dry cure for corning & the rub that inspired the quick method I posted below in the same thread.[p]Here is a brine method for Corned Beef: I still use the same pastrami rub.[p]Brine Method- 48 hours
(1) 4 lb. brisket
Dissolve:
4 C water
1C Tenderquick
Add:
2T pickling spices
5 cloves minced garlic
Use a meat fork to poke holes in both sides of the brisket. Pour brine into a plastic container with a cover, adding more water if needed to cover. Weight down with small saucers. Refergerate for 24 hours, flip and continue for 24 to 48 more hours, flipping once more.[p]Large heavy duty zipper bags work well for brining too, bleed as much air out as possible.

Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    thirdeye,[p]Great! I've got about a 5lb flat sitting in the freezer right now. I like corned beef but I LOVE pastrami. Thanks.
  • Pakak
    thirdeye,[p]Only got one question ...[p]I hadn't looked around on the net for recipes before I asked here. Just went snooping around and saw several recipes that are pretty much what you've posted with one exception. They ALL call for much longer times in the brine - 3 weeks, 15-18 days, 12-15 days are some examples. Man, I don't know if I have the patience to wait that long! Any comments?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    Pakak,
    im hoping it yeilds a much less salty cure for the pastrami, when using store bought corned beef, i usually soak them well before smoking. the excess salt can be a little to much.maybe a few extra days in the cure wouldnt hurt

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pakak,[p]Well, All of the recipes I have for 3 or 4 day brines have nitrates in the form of either Tenderquick, or Instacure #1 (Prague #1). This is what gives corned beef the nice red color. I have three that call for 8 to 15 days in a brine, but the brines have no nitrates and they have about equal parts of salt and sugar added. The internal color of these is brown and they taste salty. I've tried the long cures and they are good. Not sure they are any better that the 3 day one and I don't think they are as flovorful.
    By the way, corning is also wonderful using thick blade roasts or rounds. I've seen a recipe for corned pork roasts too, I'll try to locate it.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Pakak:[p]Personally, I prefer a long brine for my pastrami. Typically, I prep one weekend, brine all week, and smoke the next weekend. Fortunately, I have a 24 qt. stainless pot that can hold six flats and an empty refrigerator that makes this part of the process easier. Bulk is best for this household for such a sandwich meat treat![p]I tend to use less salt for the brine and do a short thirty-minute soak when the brine is complete. Rinsing and soaking too long will remove much of the flavor you have waited all week to develop.[p]The most important part of the process is the cook. Too hot of a fire and you will dry out the meat. On my Kamados I cook direct using the upper grill and maintaining 200º dome. I pull somewhere in the 165º - 175º internal temperature range depending on how easy the thermometer penetrates the meat. I use a gentle smoke for the first two hours of the cook.[p]Now I gotta find me a good inexpensive slicer![p]Linked is another pastrami recipe from the talented Len Poli . . .
    [ul][li]Pastrami . . .[/ul]
  • Pakak
    djm5x9,[p]I looked at Len's site. Was just wondering what was meant by "Spray pump the brisket to about 115% of it’s original weight"? I would think it was the same as using an injector, but ???

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Pakak:[p]You are correct, he means inject the brine till it cannot take any more which is about 15% or so.[p]All this damn talk about pastrami has me reaching into the freezer for some sammich meat for tomorrow!

• 6MVC-018E.jpg
    <p />djm5x9,[p]There are many methods of corning and pastraming meats from several dry methods to many different wet methods. In my opinion, all of them are good. The length of time for the corning really depends on the method. Your method looks great and I have done something very close to it but I do the corning a little different for both meat and poultry. [p]I like to inject the brine as I feel it works the best. I then can just cover the meat in all my garlic, spices, sugar, and herbs and really pack them on the meat. I then vacume pack the meat in bags and let it corn in the fridge. [p]To pastrami, I soak the meat for about an hour and then add more spices and smoke it to about 180 internal for brisket. Most other beef is taken off the smoker at around 165 degrees. [p]I will include a picture of a piece of brisket ready to go into the fridge for corned beef. [p]Dave[p]