Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injecting a Butt with Marinade, any recipes?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen a few recipes in the past of injecting boston butts with marinade. Does anyone have any experience or recipes for this? Thanks.

Comments

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Briz,
    I have no recipe 'cause I'm just about to try my first one! Mad Max was kind enough to share his simple injection in the Butt/Brisket thread below. Another one I've looked at is on the Dizzy Piz site at dizzypigbbq.com. As always, a look at the Whiz's site is in order--that would be nakedwhiz.com.[p]Good luck.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Trouble,
    along with the apple juice/vinager... i've added in some dizzy dust before as well (although it can clog the needle if you aren't careful) . .. .like you said though, there are lots more sophisticated injections as well. .. .

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Do you heat up the mixture to dissolve and wake up the spices?

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thirdeye,
    naw, but remember, i'm lazy... .probably should though...

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Briz,[p]Here is one I saved from a post LONG ago. I just size down the recipe for what I am using. I hope the original poster doesn't mind me passing this along....[p]- Mike[p]BB....
    Injecting is soooo much more effective and easier than brining..I am surprised more folks don't do it. I learned many years ago to inject my pork butts when I was cooking on the MIM circuit. They all use the large industrial size, constant pump units. They will inject about a gallon into one, 15 lb. shoulder.
    One thing I have learned about injecting......you should have pure liquid...any spices you use should be dissolved. Problem is, any un-dissolved spices will show up in clumps inside the meat(not a hassle with pulled pork, but it is terrible on pork loins). I now heat the liquid to dissolve and then strain if I am using spices.
    Here is an injection to try...........
    Pork Injection Marinade
    4 cups Apple juice or cider
    1 cup Cider vinegar
    1 cup Water
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup Corn syrup
    2 tablespoons Rub(use the same as you do on the meat)
    Be sure to powderize this! A mortar and pestle works great.
    PREPARATION:
    Inject into pork butts at the rate of 1 ounce per pound of meat.
    I also use as a drizzle on ribs before foiling.
    Hope you enjoy this!
    Stogie

• Charcoal Mike,[p]That recipe comes from Kevin Taylor (Stogie) and I don't think he would mind you posting it at all. He used to post here once in a while along with posting on several other forums. I haven't seen him much lately but I am sure he is still around. Heck of a nice fellow. [p]He has a couple of webpages with some great recipes which I have used for years. I will include a link. [p]Dave

[ul][li]Stogie's Great Recipes[/ul]
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Some nice recipes. Thanks for the link...hat cheese soup looks good. May try that one on the Egg.
    Jim