Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket for Dummies

Options
skyhopsing
skyhopsing Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay,

Fresh Market has whole beef briskets on sale! Thought I would give it a try, ....again.

My last two were dry and not tender. I have tried DR BBQ's technique, with mixed results.

Can anyone recommend a foolproof technique.

Thanks in Advance

Bob

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    hate to tell ya, but "foolproof and brisket" can't be used in the same sentence...
    Kent Madison MS
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    couple things to add to the general bbq advice you'll get are:

(1) Some of the upper end, grocery butchers will trim all the fat off their briskets.......might be a great move for cooking the hunk of beef in the oven but not so much for outdoors in a pit.

(2) Some of the same butchers will trim the point from the brisket packer and still call it "brisket", not brisket flat. For brisket, ya need to know what you are buying to know how best to smoke it: brisket packer and brisket flat are the more common, brisket point (some say deckle) although possible, not seen much.

Couple of my general rules for brisket are:

(1) buy at least "choice" grade. Since brisket can be a challenging cook, why start with a harder cut like "select" when "choice" is only couple dimes more per pound.

(2) if buying a brisket flat, no big point, then try to find one that has even thickness. Helps with tenderness and juiciness. See pic.

Man, I talked to YB yesterday about maybe doing a brisket this weekend. After this post, I'm hooked, gotta get one! t

brisketflatwithsomepoint.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have not done a brisket yet. It's something I want to do so I have been following some of the posts. So, this is solely based on what I have read...not eggsperience!

It seems to me that the method to cook brisket is not complicated. As TJV pointed out- I think the most important part is selecting the right cut of meat. Once you get the right cut, it seems like the method is much like a pork butt:

rub it
    inject if you wish (but this is optional)
    250 dome until finished **

**I think the "until finished" is where it does get a little more complicated. You can't simply cook to 195-200 like a butt. You have to check for tenderness starting at 180 or so and pull when ready.

That's my 2 cents, which might really only be worth half that :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Clavin
    Clavin Posts: 91
    Options
    I've done three briskets, and I consider myself a very novice Egger.

But what I am is careful and good at following directions.

I think if you can manage the temp of the EGG for a long period of time and pull the brisket at the correct temp, then you will have good luck.

My three have come out great, maybe I am lucky.

Don't Fear the Brisket. Find a recipe/technique that looks good to you and follow it carefully.
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    That was my thought. That having been said, I've had many more good ones than bad ones. My dummy advice is,
    1) get a big one
    2) no need to go too low n slow. 250-275 dome works
    3) check out dizzypigbbq.com to see how they do it.
    Scott