Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokier taste

thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It seems to me that almost everything I cook, especially the low and slow stuff always has a smokier taste the day after.

That is a good thing. I like the smoke flavor.

Sometimes I think I should cook the day before I want to eat it.

Just rambling here.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Grillster,

I have noticed the same thing. I'm wondering if the smokier taste is real or perceived. Perhaps as the meat is refrigerated the flavor has time to settle in. Or, perhaps it is just because after you finish the cook you have been around the smoker so much that you become a little desensitized to the smoky goodness.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• That's interesting, I found the same thing with my left over chicken last night.
    First night, no smoke (good for wife) last night it definitly had a smoky smell when taking out of plastic bag in fridge.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I concur with the desensitized theory. I find that some things that I cook aren't as spectacular to me as they are to my guests, until I revisit them the next day. Also, if my wife cooks something and I cook the same thing at a different time, she says mine is better and I say hers is better.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    jeffinsgf wrote:
    I concur with the desensitized theory. I find that some things that I cook aren't as spectacular to me as they are to my guests, until I revisit them the next day.

x2. I have friends who say that after they are done cooking, they will wash their hair and face in the sink before eating or even take a shower to help get some of the smoke off them and maybe clear out their sinuses. I haven't tried that yet, but I am willing to try it on my next brisket or butt.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    When you are cooking, you are smelling smoke continuously. Just like staring at a color too long, your nose can get fatigued by an odor.

I used to run prints in an enclosed room with an ammonia developer. After a half hour, I was fine, but anyone walking in the room would get knocked to their knees

The smoke on the food isn't becoming stronger in the fridge. It's just you are experiencing it with a fresh sense, literally :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    I feel nothing ever tastes as good as when someone else makes it for you
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I have one absolute exclusion to that rule, and one that I feel might prove to be an exclusion. I make the best gumbo I've ever had, and I have it everywhere that it is offered. My gumbo also violates the desensitized rule for me. It tastes better than I expect it to, usually. I could swim in it.

Though I've only made paella once, I think it is going to follow the gumbo path. I thoroughly enjoyed each step of the process and found the finished dish exceeded my lofty expectations.

Perhaps it is that in both dishes there's a series of smells, rather than just one. The taste at the end allows you to enjoy the harmony of all the previously experienced sensations.