Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Siberian Ribs and Sticky Hog Barbecue Sauce

Davekatz
Davekatz Posts: 763
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ribs_P1030470011211.jpg

I braved the cold this weekend to whip up a batch of ribs and test out my new favorite barbecue sauce - Sticky Hog

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/4 cup gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until all the sugar has dissolved and the sauce starts to thicken a little bit (about five minutes).

bbqsauce_P1030454010211.jpg

For my first try at making a sauce similar to Blues Hog or Sticky Pig, I think I did really well. It's sweet and tangy with lots of spices. Might have been a little too thick, but I was very happy with it. I'll be making another batch (a probably a few tweaks) here real soon.
Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    How do you happen to know about Sticky Pig? I thought I was the only one on this board who uses it and likes it over Blue's Hog Sauce! Funny thing is Sticky pig is made merely 2 blocks from where I grew up in Centralia, MO back nearly 50 years ago - small world!
    http://stickypigbbq.com/
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great plate shot
    Sauce sounds like tasty

Shane
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    You need tamarind. That is the key flavor in BH. You could also go 1c BS and 1 c Ketchup instead of the vinegar and tomato paste.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    That sauce looks really godd. Going to try it this weekend!!
  • Davekatz
    Someone here on the forum recommended it about a year ago. Wish I could remember who. I ordered up a couple of quarts of their regular and a pint each of their mustard and jalapeño for a graduation party that I was making pulled pork for. Everybody loved it.
  • Davekatz
    Thanks - I've tried tamarind in some of my other sauces and have enjoyed it. I'm also missing some apple juice, which I'll probably add to the next batch since this one got so thick.

I was really hoping for a sauce that had the same sticky consistency as BH and SP, but with a flavor all it's own. I think I pulled it off. The pomegranate molasses helps this sauce stand out. It gives it that tart/sweet taste like tamarind does, but with less sourness and more berry flavors.
  • RRP
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that was my recommendation as I have posted about it over the years. As I understand it the two guys used to be a team on the BBQ circuit in MO and when they had a falling out they both started making their sauce that they had developed together. I love the Sticky Pig jalapeno sauce in particular. As for Blue's it's just a little too sweet for me so I have to cut it with some Tennessee Red, but Sticky Pig is fine right out of the bottle.
  • Davekatz
    It sure could have been you, and if it was - thanks a bunch!

My dear wife has folks around Jeff City and I know I've had similar sauces when we've been out to eat down there.

Speaking of the jalapeño - I had hoped that there would be some left over from the graduation party to take back home, but the graduate's grandfather went through 3/4 of the bottle by himself (I was largely responsible for the remaining 1/4). Good stuff. i really enjoyed their mustard sauce as well.
  • I've never added TN Red to Blues Hog but I'm gonna try it next time. Ive got both in the pantry. I always add a little water to it to thin it out just a little.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • RRP
    By all means you ought to try that and I bet you'll like the results. The TN Red is a vinegar based sauce and it cuts that somewhat choking sweetness of straight Blue's Hog Sauce. Try 1/4 TN Red to 3/4 Blues. If still too sweet make it 1/3 and 2/3.

BTW we really like the TN Red as a finishing sauce served on the side WARMED with pork roast. It really rocks!
  • Dave have you tried adding tamarind paste to your sauce? I am convinced tamarind is what gives blues hog that tangy twist. Maybe your getting it from the pom. molasses.
  • Davekatz
    Good suggestion. I've tried it in some other sauces and liked it:
    Dave’s Thick & Tangy BBQ Sauce – v2.0
    Grilled Chicken Thighs & Tamarind Marinade

I might try adding it to this sauce too, but I'm not so much trying to clone BH or SP as I am trying to create a sauce that's got their sticky sweet/tangy quality, but has it's own unique flavors.

The pomegranate molasses has a sweet/tart flavor similar to the tamarind, but adds some berry flavors too (and a great ruby color).

That's the fun of making your own sauces - you get to play around till you find something you like and you still get to eat the rejects.