Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a pizza stone BUT it's
not a 'big green egg' pizza stone. It's larger and thicker and I'm
wondering if that's not such a good thing. It's 3/4" thick with a 16"
diameter. Does the heat need to flow easier around the edges? I can
still return it. Thank you!
Charlie

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Charliegg,[p]You don't want it. [p]Ship it to me immediately for proper disposal.
  • Charliegg,
    I have the same stone. Keep it.[p]Doug

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Where did you get it?[p]Can you post a picture of it in the egg?[p]Toy Man
  • Charliegg,[p]The largest hearth stone recommended for the large Egg is 14" in diameter. However, if all you plan to do with your baking is pizza, it will work fine. [p]For bread and other longer baking items where you need to bake 2-3 loaves one right after the other, this stone is a little too large for best results as it does restrict the flow in the cooker. This results in the stone at a much higher temp than all the ceramic mass above it and it is difficult to bake in this manner. [p]Dave

• Charliegg,
    Like Old Dave says, it will work great for pizza. I've not done any baking, so I will defer to Old Dave on that. However, I've routinely use a 12" stone in the small, a 14" stone in the medium and a 16" stone in the large for doing pizzas and some vegetable tarts. I have no trouble getting the eggs up to 550 degrees, which is what I use for pizza.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Charliegg,
    That'll do just fine, one point though; Elevate the stone on top of firebricks laid on their side, a platesetter or a raised grid. If you set the pizza stone directly on the main cooking grid, you won't have enough airflow between the stone and the fire ring. Also, it'll be much easier to slide the pie on and off the stone if it's above the rim of the Egg.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q