Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4lb Brisket in 4 hrs?

Options
Eggvis
Eggvis Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it possible to cook a brisket that weighs in at just under 4 lbs in less than 8rs? most of the recipes I've seen call for anywhere between 1 1/2-2 hrs per lb. I won't be able to start coking until 7:00pm this evening and don't want to go to bed at 3:00am. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. [p]Paul

Comments

• Smokin Bob
    Options
    Eggvis,[p]What time do you need to be eatin by (or total cook time you have available?) tonight? I know some on the forum have discussed smaller briskets as well as the method that includes wrapping them in foil (I have yet to try this method) to speed up the process.[p]Someone should be able to shed some light on your situation and help you get some brisket on the table tonight![p]SmokinBoB

• Eggvis,
    Just doing the math..... 4 lbs @ 1 1/2 to 2 hours/lb gives me 6 to 8 hours. Correct me if I'm wrong! I was wrong once;.... thought I'd made a mistake! ;~)[p]Pete

• Eggvis
    Options
    SmokinBoB,[p] Not getting much in the response dept.....no prob though. Maybe I will just bump up the temp slightly and cook indirect w/drip pan. I'm thinkin 325? for 3 hrs? Will this make it leather or will it make it melt...I'll post ya some photos as the cook progresses.
  • Eggvis
    Options
    Sespe Pete,
    No, your math is correct. My title to my post is somewhat confusing I see. It's a question...Can I cook a 4 lb brisket in 4 hrs? Was hoping others had some experience with this size before. I'll probablly start it in 1-1 1/2hrs.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Eggvis,[p]I've cooked a 6 lb. flat in 5 hours but it was covered with white sugar and marinaded overnight.[p]You're going to have to foil at some point. [p]Good luck,[p]Mike
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Eggvis,
    Right off the bat, I must say that I've never done a brisket in my life. Just working on the math aspect with ya, since it seems you don't want it done before tomorrow anyway. Do you have an remote thermometer that will wake you up if there is a problem? If so, I'd start the brisket at 11:00, and go to sleep trusting your technology. If it wakes you up at 4 or so telling you it's done, have the cooler ready, transfer it, and go back to bed.[p]Forgive me if that's incredibly obvious and stupid. Good luck.[p]Joyce

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Eggvis,
    I don't think that will be very good. It's hard to predict how long a little brisket like that will take. I'd cook it two hours at 300, then wrap it in foil and cook it two more hours. Hopefully it'll be edible.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    brisket179.jpg
    <p />Eggvis,
    If there is any meat that really doesn't like being rushed, it's a brisket.[p]This little 4 pounder went 10 hours at 215 (cooking level temp).[p]Wish I had better news! But higher heat will dry a little chunk out purty quick. You might be able to squeak out a 6 hour cook at higher temps, and or with foil....but real good BBQ just takes time.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Eggvis,[p]I've done a couple of those teeny briskets, and they've all turned out like shoe leather. I didn't start having success with brisket until I began injecting them, and cooking the whole 10-12 pounders. [p]The problem you run into with those little ones, is that you still need many, many hours to break down the collagen in them, but often they come trimmed at the grocery stores so there's no fat cap on them to keep them from drying out.[p]Best of luck,
    Tonia
    :~)

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Nature Mang,[p]That's purty.[p]