Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How "Far" Is Time

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in Off Topic
We have a basic understanding of how "Long" is time but how "Far" is it?

It's subjective, of course, and probably not fully comprehensible to average humans. But I ran across this example that helps to see the difference.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/the-vastness-of-time/pq9ixuc

You're welcome.

Spring "Time, Oh Time, Where Did You Go" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Just in time.

In the nick of time.

One more time.

On time.

It's time for ...

What does it all mean?

Good video though. He's interesting to watch.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    but i keep hearing the earth is only 6000 years old.... now what am i supposed to think?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    have you ever heard the concept where the age of the universe (12 to 13 billion years old) is compressed into a year's time?

if the big bang occurs at midnight, January 1st, and the entire age of the universe is stretched out across the calendar in one year's time, you get an idea of the scale of time.

i haven't done the math, but this is in line with a couple examples i found on the web

very roughly:

-nothing much of our concern happens until some time in august, when our sun forms
    -in november, the first multi-cell organisms appear
    -dinosaurs appear on or about christmas eve
    -first mammals, christmas day
    -on new year's eve, last day of the year, the first apes appear around 11 in the morning.
    -six minutes before midnight, the first modern humans appear
    -fifteen seconds before midnight, our written history begins
    -ten seconds before midnight, the pyramids are built
    -one second before midnight, christopher columbus lands in the New World
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    That's a very good way of describing it.

I visited Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ a few years ago. It was closed at the time but they had a path laid out starting at the Sun. The path led up the hill to each planet, with the spacing scaled to how far it was from the sun.

It was interesting to see the growing distance, both from the sun and from the planets. But the distance from Neptune to Pluto (it's still a planet to me) was quite a hike.

Until then, Pluto was just about the same distance from its neighboring planets because all the graphics and charts while growing up told me so. I guess if the publishers of science books depicted Pluto correctly they would have had to use a fold-out. I wasn't exposed to fold-outs until about 1953 (Thank you Hugh Hefner).

Spring "How Long Is A Circle" Chicken
  • stike
    Options
    probably the same year you discovered pop-ups
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    :ermm:

Uh!

Spring "Not The Only One" Chicken