Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My mom is coming over for dinner, what to cook?

Options
fiercetimbo17
fiercetimbo17 Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my mom called and in coming in town tomorrow and wants me to cook her something on the egg.
Any suggestions? I want something to showcase the eggs all mighty power but I dont think Ill have time for brisket pulled pork or any low and slow at this point.
Shes coming Sunday for dinner so i can still get something marinating.
Thanks

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
  • stevesails
    Options
    do a turkey!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• fiercetimbo17
    Options
    I have done a chicken, turkey is one of the things I have not done.
    However I dont have a roasting pan. I thought of a turkey but by the time I get everything im looking at 60+ for dinner and after last night and christmas Im in the money saving mode.
  • stevesails
    Options
    some baby back ribs, some baked potatoes and some cole slaw. let her make her cole slaw that you love.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You could try some chicken thighs. Marinate in Goya Mojo Criollo for a few hours, cook raised direct at 400°. I use cherry wood for smoke. They look like this...

4101269668_d474558f9d_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Michael those thighs are a thing of beauty. That is a really great cook on the egg and a great value as well. I like to cook chicken over a pan of veggies.

IMG_0539.JPG

I used some other brand of Mojo marinade and I think it had too much sugar so it burned a little. They actually tasted great, but I lost points for presentation ;P.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Choose something that you have done before, and that comes off your pit really good. Also it's a good idea to key into what your guests like, especially if it's different than what you like. (I'm talking particular cuts, seasonings, sauce, doneness etc.) For example, if I know that someone likes fall-off-the-bone ribs that are swimming is sauce, I go out of my way to make one rack just like that. Or if they like bone-in chops instead of boneless ones, I'll select them.

Don't do something new for the first time. In a nutshell.... Before you serve barbecue to a house full of guests, the preachers wife or your mom... practice, practice, practice. I'd rather serve someone the best cheeseburger they had rather than something I hadn't perfected.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    My mom is coming over for dinner tomorrow and I am going for it all. # 3 cook on my new BGE and it will be Brisket. It has been in marinade all day today and will start the fire early tomorrow a.m....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.