Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stike?

Options
crghc98
crghc98 Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
do you think your oil and wax paper method would allow you to more effectively age a smaller piece of meat? I'm thinking a smaller roast size instead of a whole primal. maybe it would allow you to go for a decent amount of time without losing too much of the roast to the dried ends?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well. i tried it on a roast a year ago but can't for the life of me remember why the paper fell off. maybe i didn't use oil and just thought the moisture would be enough....

i would say that if you were going to dry age a roast even for a few days, that yes, you might find it helps to try the oil and wax-paper gag. it might also work for plastic wrap, though i wouldn't wrap it on the roast, just adhere it to the cut flesh end.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    just thinking the wife will be more open to trying home aging is it isn't a $100+ primal. She's eaten aged beef before and likes it, but is hesitant to try it at home..(not a safety thing just a "it won't be as good as blah blah blah steakhouse" so let's just use the money to go out :angry: