Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table questions

Stony
Stony Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hello, I'm new to the forum and had a few questions that I an sure can be answered easily. The table I am designing will be constructed of what we call "heart cedar", do i need to be concerned about heat from the firebox portion of the egg? Second, I noticed in some pictures that some folks have used the "egg feet" under their eggs while sitting on the concrete paver's. Is that necessary? I have the XL Egg, and wanted to create a table that it deserves. Getting it right the first time, or close, is very important.

Thanks
Stony B)

Comments

• I have an xl, I thnk that You are not to use the feet on an xl. put it on a cement paver from Home depot. i think it is either 18 or 20 inch square. it is one heavy piece of cement.
    do a search on xl tables in the forum. some pretty amazing pics if you are not carefull.
    I used the plans from the bge site or naked whiz.

The only dimension you have to be careful of is the one from the base of the egg to the bottom of the hinge when the egg is open. If you miss that the hinge will hit the top of the table and not open!

Also, dont make the table too high. I made mine too high and cut off 4 inches, I tried to make the grid height the same as the when the nest is used.

good luck.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Congrats on the Egg...

Give yourself at least 1.25" of clearance and you won't have any problems. My LBGE has 3/4" and shows signs of heat marks. If I had mine to do over, I'd add the extra 1/2 inch.

Most everyone on the forum will agree you need space between the paver and the Egg. Somewhere in the past, I did see a discussion related to the XL specifically.

enjoy
    Kent Madison MS
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    yes you need something like stone or concrete under it, maybe not as much for heat but like in front of a fireplace.
    ive found that if you open the door at the base while grilling or smoking to clear the air holes inside, which inevitably you will have too. glowing cinders can come out.

i personally like granite over the paver. i got my granite for under the smoker and the top for 20 or 30 bucks, cant remember , and a vaccum packed bag of pulled pork. I went to a granite counter cutter, supplier, and she let me puruse the scrap pile . i found a piece and got my two pieces out of it with one cut (included in the price) the cut edge was not finished other then sharp edge.

my table is on naked whiz, i like having granite coming to edge uner egg, it makes cleaning easier,. as ash can be brushed right into a bucket.
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 21
    Great ideas, Thanks