Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help: Discount Fresh Turkey Smells of Sulfur

cocktails42
cocktails42 Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I purchased a fresh turkey, not frozen, at my chain market. .79/lb.

Sell by date is 31 December. It smells of sulfur. Washing all the bloody liquid off and out of it helped, but it still smells. It stinks. I'm not happy.

Toss it or what? Right now I'm waiting for replies before I just go ahead and dump it.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    The nose knows, cryovac foods will sometimes have that sulfur smell but it should rinse off. If it still has that off odor after a few minutes of air drying I would return it or toss it.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Turkey has the amino acids cysteine and methionine, which contain sulfur. The sulfites evolved to become sulfur dioxide, and when you open the package ... *poof!* turkey fart smell. If they package it with CO2 or Nitrogen, it can exacerbate the issue.

If it doesn't feel slimy, there's no milky runoff, and if after rinsing, patting dry, and letting it sit for 10mins, you don't smell it anymore, I'd probably give it a whirl. But then, that's just me.

If you don't feel comfortable about cooking and eating it, then don't. There's no sense in eating something you're concerned about making you and yours ill.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • cocktails42,

Try soaking it in a sink or clean bucket with salt water and rinse several times. Bad poultry doesn't smell like sulphur :sick:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Sulfur smell is a common complaint of cryovac'd foods. Rinse it and it'll clear. As steven said, the sulfur smells bad, but it certainly smells a lot better than meat gone bad
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Guys, THANK YOU a ton!

I appreciate your advice. Unfortunately, I shitcanned it already. I read a lot of web posts that said toss it while waiting for replies here.

Next time I'll try the salt water treatment before final decision.

Sorry I blew it. I'm a little embarassed now. ugh