Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Terderloin Question

Options
Big George's BBQ
Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting an 8lb roast from the butcher. I am thinking indirect or direct on a raised grid on the egg- about 325-350. How long should I figure on this taking. The butcher is giving me the fat he trims so I can put it on the top of the roast so it will melt int the meat while cooking. I did this before and it makes the meat outstanding. I will probably add some Jack Daniels oak chips to the fire.

Comments

• EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    Big George's BBQ wrote:
    The butcher is giving me the fat he trims so I can put it on the top of the roast so it will melt int the meat while cooking.

Sorry to say that, but the melting in the meat is imho a tale...
    the fat will melt, and will rinse from top around the meat, but not into the meat. All what will happen is that that the rinsing fat will take your seasoning away... ;)
    Imho no fat, just salt and pepper. Give it a short direct sear before cooking indirect. It will take approx 40 minutes to cook it to 135 F internal @ 350 EggTemp. Let it rest for 10 minutes after reaching 135 F internal.

Good cook !
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Big George,
    I tend to agree with Simon on the fat issue.

Here is a link to a tenderloin cook I have done 4-5 times now which gets rave reviews.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1011700&catid=1