Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you tell when a water heater goes south

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I've been noticing that the shower h2o heat is taking longer to get hot. Just came home after a few nights away. Ran the shower, barley warm. Bath sink warmer. Kitchen, the warmest but not as it should be. I see no leaking in the utility closet.
I got in the shower thinking I could handle the semi warm and could not.
Time for one?
Thanks.
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Molly mine was due to a water leak in the hot water under the slab so water was running through the heater faster than it could heat it. With yours, I'm guessing electric, you may have 1 or both of the heating elements going. If you know someone with a volt/ amp meter it's pretty easy to check.
  • cookn biker
    So an electrician, right? I am on a slab, so I'd see a leak. I'll ask around, thanks Pat.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Probably it's just 1 bad element and they are not too expensive to replace
  • cookn biker
    Good news!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • do i have to hold my breath until the next post? wtf.....?
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Is it electric or is it gas? Same possible easy cure if gas, simple thermocouple. Either thermocouple or element is easy to change if you have someone with a tiny bit of common mechanical sense.

Fact that not leaking is good.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    If you have a your water lines under the slab, walk in bare feet, the warm floor will tell you where the problem is. Also understand if the incoming water is 10 degrees lower than normal the recover is longer.
  • cookn biker
    Thanks all, I got it taken care of.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • I have had my breakers trip on my water heater and discovered it days later after water slowly got cooler. Sorry for the late reply, haven't been back here in awhile.