Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Got Texas Sausage Recipe

willrev
willrev Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody got a good sausage recipe from Texas like the ones they serve smoked from Kreuz BBQ or Blacks BBQ in Lockhart, TX???

My homesick Texas buddy wants some and I figure I can make them and smoke them if I can get a good recipe using the egg.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Does this qualify?

Sausage, Pork, World Famous Genuine Texas Hotlinks, Bigwheel, Thirdeye

Ttry to keep everything as cold as possible. I like to wear gloves when mixing the spices into the meat since it is so cold. You really need to do this by hand. I've tried my buddies big Hobart mixer with the meat hooks and the hand method works the best. A few hours rest helps the spices blend, but fry up a test patty after mixing to get a general feel for the flavors and adjust as necessary.If you like HOT (and I mean HOT) sausage, give this one a try. It's my favorite hot link recipe. Even if you don't have a stuffer, hand rolled links, patties or fatties are great. Also if you are not stuffing, don't use the whole bottle of beer. I have seen slight variations to this classic hot link recipe, the most common is to go with all pork instead of the 2# of beef & some call for a cup of beer instead of a bottle. I use a whole bottle but only mix some into the cut meat before grinding. The remainder I mix into the meat after grinding. Then I let it sit in the beer fridge overnight before stuffing or wrapping in bulk. This lets all of the moisture get absorbed and the flavors blend.Like I said, this does have some heat, use your own judgement on the red pepper and cayenne. For some reason, fatties or hand-rolled links are not as hot as stuffed links. I guess some of the fat rendering out takes some heat with it. Happy Trails~thirdeye~

INGREDIENTS:
    5 lbs boston butt
    2 lbs lean beef
    1 bottle cold beer
    2 Tbs fresh ground black pepper
    2 Tbs crushed red pepper
    2 Tbs Hungarian paprika
    1 Tbs cayenne pepper
    1 Tbs minced fresh garlic
    1 Tbs granulated garlic
    2 tsp ground corriander
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp ground bay leaves
    1 tsp whole anise seeds
    1 tsp whole mustard seeds
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tsp ground thyme
    6 tsp Mortons Tender Quick
    1 tsp MSG

Procedure:
    1 Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meats into grinder sized pieces. Dump the spiced beer on the cut meat and mix it up good. Run spiced meat mixture through the grinder coarse or medium plate and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Wash it down with ice cold beer.

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 2006/04/22
  • Thanks. Sounds great. I have a kitchen aid stand mixer to grind meat. Need to get a stuffer. Got a source for the casings?
  • Thanks. There it is. I will save it this time.