Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rolled rib roast help?

Options
Cactus Doug
Cactus Doug Posts: 341
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have volunteered to cook for our shop holiday potluck this thursday at 11:30. I will be cooking two turkeys 14lbs each already have them spatched ready for brine. My question is that I also have 4 rolled rib roasts (no bones) each approx. 7lbs getting some age in my garage fridge right now. I boned the roasts and cut them in half (they were 16 pounders), to hopefully speed up the cooking time (starting that morning at work). I will be cooking them on a large offset (that we built at work, keep my eggs at home) and want to slow roast them at 275-300 with a high heat finish (reverse sear). I know to cook to temp, but I am looking for some time guidelines here. I don't want 100 hungry guys looking over my shoulder at 11:30 wondering where lunch is. At home in the past I have only cooked bone in roasts. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    I would guess between 3 and 4 hours at those temps. I would figure on 4 hours cook time and allow 1 hour rest time in a cooler if necessary. That should give you enough wiggle room. They will keep in a cooler for hours if need be. The reverse sear may not be necessary as I would assume you will have a nice crust even at the lower temps. Let us know who things turn out. Pull the roasts at around 125 internal temps for a medium rare finish.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Doug,

I can tell you that bone in rib takes roughly 25 minutes a pound at 250*. I would expect somewhere around 20 or less for boneless at that temp. If they are done early they can rest for a while too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cactus Doug
    Options
    I was thinking about 20 min per lb. you just confirmed it thanks!