Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke sea salt

thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found a rub that has smoked sea salt in it. One of the best tasting rubs I have ever used but it is very hard to find.

Smoking sea salt. Is that something that I could do on the egg? Would that be done via cold smoking?

I know it was produced using applewood so maybe that means a higher temp smoke.

The rub comes from Williams-Sonoma and is called Smoke House Rub.

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    when i did it i used grey salt, its a moist sea salt. did it around 250 if i remember right, been a while. i gave it heavey smoke then packed it into a small canning jar, it needs a sealable cover because it loses smoke fairly quick. thinking some kosher with a light sprits of water to get it to stick, maybe even do it over a water pan
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I bought and used some of the rub a couple of months ago and it is really great!
    I have also wondered about smoking salt. I will be interested to see the responses to this post.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I use smoked sea salt exclusively in my business. I get them from www.savoryspiceshop.com which is based out of Denver. They have over 40 different kinds of sea salt from "black truffle" to "smoked". I use the alder smoked but they also have hickory and oak from chardonnay barrels in France.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I tried smoking sea salt with hickory awhile back. Did around 200F for 36 hours on my large indirect. Did not have a guru to control temp so was up stirring and changing the level of the pans every 4-5 hours and adding more wood chunks. Spent 36 hours 5#ag of hickory chunks and will not do again. When this batch runs out will buy online, at a few places already mentioned. Tooo much work for the end result.

STACKEDREADYTOSMOKE3DSCN0164.jpg
  • Yea, from what I can see it would be silly to do this myself. That Savory Spice Shop has some great looking products.

That would be the easy button.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Last time I did this - I also used a moist salt - fleur de sel as I recall. I also did some trials with a little spritz of neutral oil on some of the salt to see if I could get more flavour - can't recall which one worked best.

I have a bottle of Spice House Smoke Flavour - it's a maltodextrin base smoked. Nice strong smoke flavour. Might be worth smoking a container of that.