Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potluck Butt & nice prize

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I signed up to smoke a boston butt for a work potluck. Took advantage of a nice price ($0.99 /lb) for a pair (one was 8 lbs, other was 9 lbs):

IMG_6825.jpg

I decided to go with a higher heat cook for these. Injected the butts with a simple injection of mostly apple juice and fired up the Egg in the wee hours of the morning. Rubbed them good with some Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub and some of their Sweet & Spicy Rub. Put the butts on at 2 AM and let them smoke a little over an hour around 230 before ramping the temp up to around 280-290. Foiled them with a little apple juice when they reached around 165 and pulled them after about 7 - 7 1/2 hrs of cooking. Both pulled at an internal temp around 200-203.

After about a 75 minute rest I opened up the smaller butt (it was staying home for our consumption :) ):
IMG_6830.jpg
IMG_6831.jpg

The bone pulled out without a fight and after a quick pull I was tasting some delicious tender juicy pork:
IMG_6837.jpg
IMG_6834.jpg

I took the other one to the work potluck and pulled it on the spot to the delight of my coworkers. I had a great finish to a long day when I ended up with a "door prize" that was perfect for me:
IMG_6839.jpg

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments