Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Goose on the Egg?

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions for roasting a goose on the egg? I was thinking about going indirect on a v rack over a drip pan at 350 but would love suggestions. I will be doing a tenderloin and salmon as well, but thought I would try a traditional goose just for fun.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Don't forget the Cumberland sauce.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/roast-goose
    Just treat the Egg as if it were your oven.Indirect with a dripan on spacers.Hope this helps.show us pics if you do it. :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Might be some help here.

Goose, Christmas, Irishhog

I cooked one a few years ago on a turkey cone, which I set in a stainless steel bowl to catch the fats. If you have never cooked goose be ready for a large amount of fat which if not collected will drip onto the coals and cause problems as it burns off. Prod the skin of the goose with a fork, but be careful not to go through to the meat. As the fat renders it will run out of the skin and into your collection bowl. Use this fat later for roasting potatoes, in Ireland it is traditional (but not very healthy) to roast potatoes in goose fat, because it takes high heat, and imparts great flavour. Boil the peeled potatoes for 3 or 4 minutes and then toss into very hot goose fat in a roasting tin, and roast in an oven or the egg for up to 1 hour depending on size.To go back to the goose, it goes very well with homemade apple sauce, and potato stuffing. Chunks of apple pushed into the cavity before cooking also impart great flavour.I cooked a goose for the open catagory of a competition a few years ago and scored second place in the competition. Goose is a lovely meal, but it is important to release as much fat as possible as you cook the meat, and believe me if this is your first goose, you will be amased by the amount of fat which is released.P.S. goose grease is also a good cure for stiff joints and back ache. Just rub it into the the sore area and you will get great relief, another Irish remedy to a common problem.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Irishhog, 2007/12/19
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Boyaree: Pardon the expression, but make sure you prick the heck out of the skin before beginning the cook, especially the areas that are white behind the skin where the fat is. Indirect, preheated, 350-400*. A drip pan is mandatory, and use spacers, so you can use the rendered fat in the future. Same deal as an oven. You just have to make sure you have spots for the fat to render OUT. It may be necessary mid cook, to re-pierce. Goose can be awesome, or greasy as all get out! Just keep the fatty areas flowing. (Note: Save the fat!!! It's a whole lot more flavorful than butter or oil!!!! Awesome spuds ahead!) ;)
    Bottom line...get the goose to render the fat while cooking! Skin piercing is allowed!! Please take note, only pierce the SKIN...skin surface! Not the meat itself! Just the skin surface! Tha fat will render out without drying out the flesh! ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    to reinforce whats been said, big drip pan, theres a gallon of grease per pound of goose :laugh: use the spacers under the pan and try not to burn the grease, save it to use later, it freezes well in a canning jar
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    question for ya... do they ever steam the goose for a half hour or so first (after pricking it) to render fat? i did that with quartered duck, and it gave me great fat in the bottom of the steam pot (water simmered off), and then the duck was far less trouble during the regular part of the cook
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Haven't done it myself, but in thinking about it, I am sure it would be quite effective! I've seen a couple recipes in the past that call for a quick plunge in boiling water. Just never bothered.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    This site has 50 goose recipes...never expected to find a site dedicated to goose... :huh:
    http://www.roastgoose.com/goose_recipes.htm
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Stike: Interesting one here...not only steaming, but air drying too...

http://www.roastgoose.com/recipes/Roast_Goose_w_Crispy_Skin.htm
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    thanks boss. that's the ticket.

[i was flirting with an english christmas dinner... but probably nxt year since i already have the beef roast on deck for this'un. we are at 30+ days dry aging. in 1856, my family came over from england, took more than 8 weeks. they got here day after New Year's. for christmas dinner they had leg of mutton, goose, and a christmas pudding. pudding 'sounds' great, but lookin at the recipes, not sure anyone would eat it now. or the mutton. hahaha so maybe i'll just do the goose...}
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante