Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control

Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guess it's time to take apart and get out the shop vac again. Trying for ABT's @ 350. both vents wide open and won't get above 325. Thats what I get for waiting till last minute to prepare anything :S

Comments

•  
    Make sure the holes in the fire grate and fire box are clear. That's all you need to do.

High temperatures can easily be reached even if there is a lot of ash in the firebox.

Nevertheless, it never hurth to clean out the egg. After 3 years I guess I ought to remove the fire ring and fire box and clean out my eggs, na, maybe next summer. :)

GG
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    GG,

I'm with you... In 4 years, I've taken mine out no more than 3 times... once was to replace the broken firebox... it never has as much as I thought would be there...

In my world - gaskets, clean outs, and high temp burn offs are fables....

Bet it was pretty in the mountains today
    Kent Madison MS
  • BBQMaven wrote:
    GG,

I'm with you... In 4 years, I've taken mine out no more than 3 times... once was to replace the broken firebox... it never has as much as I thought would be there...

In my world - gaskets, clean outs, and high temp burn offs are fables....

Bet it was pretty in the mountains today

I have had the ash in the large up to 1/2" of the fire grate and all has lit and got to temperatures just fine. I haven't yet looked behind the fire box though.

Mountains, oh man they are beautiful, expecially at sundown when the golden glow of the sun hits those peaks. We have had over double of the snow fall than normal, skiing and snowboarders are going nuts with all this great snow. My son and two grandsons said the boarding is the best it has been in years. If the snow keeps falling the rest of the season this is going to be a fantastic skiing year. Me I love it in the mountains but down here, well, I would rather be in AZRP's, Ross's or Richard's back yard. :) I love the 4 seasons just wish there were longer springs and fall's.

Kent
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    I get the great privilege of leading a High School group on 5 days of hiking in Estes Park CO every June. I'll do this as long as the Lord allows my body to hike those beautiful trails.
    Kent Madison MS
  •  
    That is a beautiful time of year and Estes is very breathtaking. I love that part of Colorado.

Kent