Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey variation is a go!

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This morning, we pulled our 16 pound bird out of a williams-sonoma 24 hour brining, and followed max's recipe after that. We pared down the cavity salt, but with the brining, that seemed prudent. [p]I put it on at 11:05 with a planned removal at 4:00 or 4:30, then a tented rest and carving at 5:00. I will keep any and all intersted parties posted. [p]Wow. Once I said that, I realized I could probably just email molly from my office, then every interested party would be informed.[p]Oh well, hope everyone had a good morning and is looking forward to great eats today and tomorrow.[p]more to come...

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    just remember. .. its all in the gravy... holler if you have any problems or need any help... 703-517-3791[p]good luck[p]max

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]HOLLER!!![p]You're gonna laugh at this (or not), but when I started reading thru the recipe and doing everything this morning, I said "Hey babe, hand me the bag of neck and stuff." [p]Her reply: "You needed that?"[p]Needless to say, we won't be making your famous gravy until next time. I am thrilled with how great it smells and am watching the clock somewhat. It's at 150 in the breast and we were hoping to carve it at 5pm. I don't think it's gonna be done at 4:30 for me, but I've kicked the temp up to 350 anyway just for a hopefully crispy crust. [p]Bottom line: It's getting there, but I'm not pulling the stunt a co-worker did on turkey day by serving a turkey at 152 breast because he'd "promised folks when they'd eat." Happy salmonilla everybody!![p]I will follow the thermapen and when the breast is 165 and it's all running clear, I'll take it off.[p]Thanks for the recipe and the help. I may call you anyway just to stay away from my mother in law. HELP!![p]Happy Holidays![p]Todd
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    not all is lost regarding the gravy. ..well, after you beat your wife for throwing out the guts. . .don't give up on the great gravy. ..the neck and stuff was to make broth. ...if you don't have any, run out to the store and buy a couple of quarts of chicken broth. ..that will work fine. ..you will still have the great dripping from inside the bird and roasting pan. . .[p]i have to sign off for the afternoon (spawn wants my computer). .but seriously, you can still do the gravy. ..and feel free to give a call.. . .[p]