Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pink meat timidity

Options
Egg Master 3000
Egg Master 3000 Posts: 323
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All,

I have been seeing all the beautiful pieces of meat that you all are cooking. I have a problem with all the beef and pork roasts and steaks etc.

If my other half sees all that pink in a roast, she does not like to eat it! Right now I do not think I could get away with the pull temps that most of you recommend for these types of meat!

Any suggestions on helping my cause?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Eat by candlelight so she can't see how pink it is. Then after she tells you how good it is turn on the lights and let her see her beef is actually medium rare.

I did that to my wife. She hasn't forgiven me yet.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you ain't kidding.
    i serve by candlelight whenever possible.

if they really want it more done, there's no sense ringing the roast for one person. cook it to the lower temp, and toss theirs on the gird for a minute or two extra
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    :lol: I did coax her to try a bite of medium-rare ribeye once... she said she liked it... but then proceeded to eat mostly around the edges of the steak!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yea, you serve by candlelight because you are a sensual, romantic, caring spouse.

I do it because I'm devious and love to get one over on my wife.
  • winemaker ron
    Options
    Mine was like that too, I told her to wear sunglasses or eat eith your eyes closed. After some time she now wants it med-rare.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

There are some real rare pictures being posted. Some still purple and some blood red. Some of that is a bit much for me also. I like the old traditional medium rare with beef. Pork for slicing I like 145°, good flavor and good color.

GG
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I think you should ease her into it with good wine and compliments, doing all of the dishes, some foot massages, and maybe a big diamond ring for no reason. That should do it, at least it would for me.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Holy Cow. I'd have to learn to eat medium-well around you. :laugh:
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Some meats are better towards the rare end and some are not. Pork, beef fillets, etc. are definitely better on the rarer side. However, I prefer strong meaty tasting steaks (T-bone, sirloin) to be cooked closer to medium for my liking. I don't believe they are any more tender on the rarer side of doneness. Chicken and poultry can also be cooked towards the medium or well done sides without much damage if cooked in the egg. It is also nice when pulling meat when it easily comes apart.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Stephen,

I'm in the same boat, and in the same lake! :woohoo:

My solution with roasts is to serve my wife the end cuts and reserve the middle for myself. For steaks, I start hers a few minutes earlier, leave it on a couple minutes later and rest both several minutes before serving. The rest is very crucial. Red juice running on the plate is what my wife is most opposed to. Pink meat that isn't running juice is usually to her liking.

What part of town do you call home? I'm about 10 miles north of town off Hwy 13.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If it's not pink, it's well done or burnt. Not good, sorry. :blush::whistle: