Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dumb Question - Brine - Stock vs Broth

NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay...I'm planning on brining my turkey this year (20 pounder) and baking in LBE. In reviewing Alton Brown's brine, it looks like he uses 1 gallon of Veg. "stock". Do you think I can get away with using Veg. Broth??

Comments

• For vegetable broth/stock, it doesn't matter. They are really the same thing. The only time when those terms matter is when you are creating a meat liquid, because then the difference is the preparation of the liquid (using bones vs. meat). Since vegetable broth/stock does not use bones, the actual term that you use shouldn't matter because you will end up with the same end product through the flavor extraction process.

If you are using store bought vegetable broth/stock, just be sure to check the sodium content when brining. I can't imagine that one has more sodium than another, other than the differences that brands can offer. But better to be safe than sorry (or salty... ha! :))

And heck, even if I'm wrong, I really can't imagine that there is much of a difference. I make my own meat stock and broth, and I've used them interchangeably in recipes with no difference in flavor. The only time you'd notice a difference is in a soup.
  • NoleC5
    Thanks....the salt content was the other thing I'm worried about. May just cut down the amount of salt, to be on the safe side.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    well the difference as i know it is that stock is made with bones from the animal such as chicken wings or a beef bone, and broth is made with more of the protien with out the bone. so veg stock or broth, not sure as veg dont have bones, the idea is to get the geletin from the connective tissue. broth is usually made with stock being its base, but you can make broth with water too, so i would use either one when it comes to veg stick or veg broth.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    You are correct about checking the sodium levels of storebought stock/broth. Some are VERY high, which will have an effect on your brine or injection.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NoleC5
    I just went a looked at his recipe again and it calls for 1 gal of veg. broth and 1 full cup of kosher salt. Loooks like he also used store bought broth. Seems like this could be overkill?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiSfKDiUavo
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    NoleC5: Just something else to consider. You will have about $15 in store bought veggie broth, where as you could make your own for about $3 of veggies, plus home made will have more flavor and no/controlled sodium.
    Here is a basic veg stock recipe...as you see by the last paragraph, there is a lot of leeway as to ingredients you can use. Hope this helps a bit.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/basic-vegetable-stock/Detail.aspx

Also, though it is always debatable and up for discussion, I have understood a broth to be ready for consumption, where as a stock would need additional work to make it something you would want to consume.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I usually like to follow a new recipe first, then decide if something needs to be changed. The ratio of one cup of salt (kosher) to one gallon of water is a long time standard in brining circles, (some folks prefer a stronger mix and some a lighter mix)and brine time is also a factor. In other words more time in a weaker solution may equal less time in a stronger solution. Getting back to your question, if the store bought broth has some salt, this will make the brine stronger than "standard". Did he perhaps mention adding any ice to chill everything down? If so, this would dilute it a little.

I like LC's advice below about making your own, it will be much cheaper, will be better and will only take a few hours.

The one thing that is often overlooked when brining is a long rest in the fridge following the brine time. Called equalization, this resting time allows for all the mobile juices in the bird (or whatever) to settle down and stabilize. Another advantage when brining poultry is that this rest lets the skin dry out a little, which helps on the crispness during the cooking.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery