Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yesterday was a great beef day!

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, after gorging myself on that tenderloin, I had to go to a beer exchange party last night. It was to be poker, the falcons game and ribeyes. [p]We bought a 16 pound ribeye and had it cut into ten steaks, seen here. They were rubbed with olive oil and cow lick. [p]smallDsc06397.jpg[p]My friend, the "I don't need an egg" guy, was going to gas them "really hot..around 500" for a few minutes, then wrap them in foil. Egad. [p]I volunteered to sear them, figuring a little egg is better than none at all. [p]Here is my lava picture, my first lid up T-rex sear, and the seared steaks in a heated cooler for transplant, as though they were vital organs.[p]smallDsc06399.jpg[p]smallDsc06404.jpg[p]smallDsc06403.jpg[p]I gassed them at 400 for about five minutes per side, and they were a nice medium rare. By the way, they were better than just gassed, but only about a 4 out of 10. How sad.[p]

Comments

• tmEGGer
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Those look great. I am sure the TRex sear added a lot. Have you ever tried grilling 1 ribeye egged/TRexed and 1 on the gasser side by side? I tried it when I first got my egg back in May this year. I put each steak on its own plate (I did not want the juices mixing) and held them out in front of my wife. I asked her "which steak would you rather eat?" without indicating which was which. She immediately said "that one" pointing to the egged one. When I asked her why, she said "because of the color." It was true. We had been enjoying gassed steaks for years, but next to a TRexer, it looked gray by comparison, where the TRexer had a beautiful golden brown complexion. Wow. That got me pretty excited. [p]Cheers,
    NutmEGGer[p]

• tmEGGer
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Oh yeah, one other thing, it was indeed a great beef day. Well a beef and lamb day. I bought 1# of ground chuck, 1# of ground lamb, mixed together with olive oil, kosher salt, Cow Lick and 3 large smashed cloves of garlic. Seared them at about 500, then took the temp down to 350. They were some great burgers and very juicy.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]SPECTACULAR searing pic! Sorry your buddy is in this foil/gasser trance. I have a friend like that too. It's annoying.[p]100% Egged steaks to ya,[p]TRex
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    glad your friend let you do the searing. .. the searing pictures are beautiful. . .i may have to start that thread again, where everybody posts their best sear pictures. . .it was fun the last time. ..

• Mark Backer,
    Mark, I hope you are feeling better today!!!!! I am looking for some leg of lamb recipies although Mark Backers dad's is not one to mess with. I might try to out do him.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I should thank T-Rex (again) for that. I had never seen a sear in person because I had been doing it with the lid down. Since he told me to leave the lid up, everything's different. [p]I am looking VERY forward to Thursday night. Since Friday's Christmas eve and the office is closed, Thursday will be steak night for us and the brother / sister in law across the street. [p]Cannot wait to finish our steaks in the proper way after another searing like that one.[p]Ah...the joys life brings.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    heather,[p]You know it's not really leg of lamb...right? He calls it that just so you'll eat it, but it's really a nubian milk goat.[p]Surprise!!!

• ToyCollector
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Where did you buy the meat from? I am becoming very suspect that Sam's and Walmart are selling subpar grades. Just curious.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    ToyCollector,[p]Both the ribeye and beef tenderloin came from wilkes meats of suwanee, our local family owned butcher here in suwanee, ga. Can't recommend them highly enough.