Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has Anyone Done the Alton Brown Turkey?

FossilPeddler
FossilPeddler Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two friends who have made Alton Brown's turkey recipe indoors and they both rave about it. If you aren't familiar, just google "Alton Brown Turkey Recipe". Reader's Digest version... he takes a frozen 14 to 16 pound bird, brines it, then cooks it at 500 for 30 min, then at 350 for another two hours or so.

Just wondering how it would adapt to the egg. I've read how Mad Max ices the breast before the cook, so if attempting the Alton Brown recipe, I wonder if I should do the same.

Also wondering why he starts with a frozen bird.

Thoughts, comments, experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    FossilPeddler: I have done AB's turkey method for years, and absolutely love it! Wonderful flavors added from the brine and aromatics! Won't do my bird any other way. I have modified the brine a bit, using about 3T of pickling spices instead of the ginger and....trying to remember the other...I think he calls for whole allspice berries? I just use the pickling spices instead.
    In the Egg, I start at 425* for 15 minutes, then drop to 325* for the balance (leaving the bird in while the temp comes down). Have had wonderful birds, and have adapted this method to chickens also, though I leave the chicken at 400-425* for the whole cook with great results.
    Also, we have one of those round orange water coolers you frequently see attached to contractors trucks which we dedicate only to brining. It's the Perfect size, the iced brine keeps the bird super cold, and keeps the fridge space open for all the other goodies that come with Thanksgiving.
    Wish you the best!
  • if memory serves i saw that episode and he chose the frozen one based on availability, price, taste and convenience.. he tried a several ,, fresh frozen pre injected and decided on the frozen one ,, if i remember correctly
  • Sounds great Little Chef. Do you ice the breast prior to cooking? Thanks!
  • Also, the brine rapidly thaws the turkey versus leaving it to thaw in the fridge. Even if your brine is ice cold, the turkey thaws much faster because the water density is much greater than air density. Less hassle that way! Also, it can't hurt to ice the breasts no matter what recipe you're using.
  • Little Chef
    bill: Agreed. I have done both the fresh and frozen and didn't discern a difference. Have had my best results with good ol' Publix brand. :blush: :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Tried it one year and noticed zero difference. The brine is more than adequate.
  • LC, do you make your own veg stock for the brine or use store bought?
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    I second the AB method! Comes out perfect everytime.
    Turkey triangle. Lol
  • i'm going to try the spachcock version with the big bird

will brining the bird give it a salty taste???

should it the brine be done while the bird is whole or after surgery?

thanks for your help
  • It won't really matter whether you brine before or after the spatchcock.