Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will the BGE fade in the sun? nm

Options
OconeeDawg
OconeeDawg Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will the BGE fade in the sun if it isn't covered up?

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Mine hasn't in eleven years. I have a 1999 model and a 2006 side by side, and you can't tell which is older unless you know the nuances of the older hardware.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Yes, it will gradually fade, but they seem to reach a point when the fading stops or is basically becomes undetectable. They don't seem to reach a point where they become old or drab looking if you get my drift.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I have a 2007 large, a 2008 large and a 2010 small and at the moment, I can tell which is oldest to newest by color(even if I didn't know otherwise), but I suspect after a few more years, they will have all reached the shade of green that will fade no more like yours have.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    You must have a much more discerning eye than I do. When I brought my new one home a couple years ago I couldn't detect a difference between the then 8 year old one and the new one, other than a slight bit of crazing under glaze. The color seemed exactly the same.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Well, I don't know about discerning eye :laugh: ,but maybe the crazing is more prolific in the oldest one and makes it look slightly duller than the newest one.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Just wash and wax it once a month and you're good. :whistle:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mark,

I've got a couple that are a different shade than the others but have been that way since new.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jeffinsgf
    Options
    Seriously? You wax your Egg? :blink:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    dust in the crazing will lighten it, and since it's glass (essentially), you get the same pitting you would in a windshield, for example. all these things can "lighten" the egg. the color doesn't actually fade, but dust and imperfections effectively make it look faded

make any sense?

like scratches in glass.

i suppose there's some leaching maybe that can occur from exposure to the weather, but i know the color deepens when it is wet (like beach sand does), so i'm thinking it's more an issues of scratches and edges (from the crazing) that make it seem like the color is changing.

where's our ceramics conservator when we need him?

yo. woo doggies? any thoughts?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    J, I think you're probably right regarding the crazing being the root cause, but why couldn't the color fade? I mean, I know the coloring is protected by the glaze(essentially glass), but other things that are protected by a covering or coating of glass fade, yes?
  • stike
    Options
    the glaze doesn't cover and protect the color. the glaze IS the color. that thing is white ceramic, covered in slip that turns green when fired. just as sand melts to become glass, the slip (i think that's what it is in this case) melts and becomes glass (glass-like is probably more correct).

the cracks and pits will not only trap dirt, but they scatter light, making it appear lighter. if you merely wet the egg, the dark color returns. like wet beach sand.

i'm betting john can tell us if there are glazes which can actually fade. but my understanding is that it isn't a case of UV fading like paint, or pigments leaching out from rain, but simply light scattering from pitting and scratches
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation. I didn't think of glaze that way. I thought of it kind of like a car's color with a clear coat finish. Again, my ignorance of all things artistic rears its ugly head. :blink: :blush: :laugh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    woo woo woo - for once in my life I get to correct you, Jeff!!! Actually slip is the term for the liquid clay poured into the molds. Then the mold absorbs the liquid leaving behind the solid, but soft "green-ware". Then it is fired and then the glaze is sprayed or brushed on and the piece is fired a second time. It's funny but the color of glaze before firing doesn't look anything like what the final color will be.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Same here - on my large my dome is a darker shade than the base and always has been. Likewise my rain bonnets are different shades and always have been.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Heck Ron, I tell him he gives out spot on advice 99.9% of the time(like a nice compliment)and he still starts to vibrate in his chair. :laugh:
  • RRP
    Options
    well, I used to feel like one of those little mechanical ducks at a county fair years ago that you used to shoot with a .22 rifle. Seems like there for a while every time I popped up on the scene there was ol' dead eye stike taking a bead on me! :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    you only get a half point... :laugh:

i admitted i wasn't sure if that's what it's called
    "the slip (i think that's what it is in this case)"

hahaha

i've seen slip used as a decoration, applied on say a turned pot, so i thought that's what the glaze was

damn. and i made it all the way to november this year without being wrong, too.

(kidding)
  • RRP
    Options
    OK - at least a half point finally puts me on the scoreboard - it's been embarrassing all these years with your lopsided score!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey yall! It's my opinion the bge glaze will not fade to any detectable degree over time. The glaze surface may weather, dull and lose some gloss from exposure but the color should stay virtually the same and vibrant for centuries.... just look at 15th c. glazed tiles on the facades of Italian buildings.

The color differences between eggs old and new, domes and bases is very likely due to slight variations in the glaze formula. Noticeable when compared to eggs from different "batches" and is common in mass production.

That my story and I'm sticking to it. :~)

john
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I agree, I've seen those tiles in Rome. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Lucky You! :~)

john
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yes, if you don't keep it waxed it may void your warranty and the mothership will come your house and confiscate the Egg and give you a citation for neglect. :blink:
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Okay. I'll remember that and get right on it.

I didn't think you were serious, but some people are really fanatics. :woohoo: